Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Water crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    This post is a good example of what I have noted about bae and his delusions of grandeur. It's not that he worked on this project, or worked with others - no he was the big boss in charge who supervised, and his heroics prevented Total Disaster.
    This post was totally uncalled for and inappropriate for this forum. Really sad to see this.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

This post is a good example of what I have noted about bae and his delusions of grandeur. It's not that he worked on this project, or worked with others - no he was the big boss in charge who supervised, and his heroics prevented Total Disaster.
    Sweetie, When was the last time you where here in the PNW ? How do you know what bae has or hasn't done?

The Equine Fun Fact Of The Day: Mules are a cross of donkey and horse The father is donkey and the mother is a horse. A hinny is when the dad is a horse and the mother is a donkey. They are a hybrid and are 99.9% sterile.
    Bonus Fact Of The Day: Freddie Mercury would have been 75 today

Quote Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
    Sweetie, When was the last time you where here in the PNW ? How do you know what bae has or hasn't done?

The Equine Fun Fact Of The Day: Mules are a cross of donkey and horse The father is donkey and the mother is a horse. A hinny is when the dad is a horse and the mother is a donkey. They are a hybrid and are 99.9% sterile.
    Bonus Fact Of The Day: Freddie Mercury would have been 75 today
    Just the other day I discussed how you confused "where" and "were". Today you make the exact same error, yet you question my knowledge.

Just the other day I discussed how you confused "where" and "were". Today you make the exact same error, yet you question my knowledge.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

We have a stream at the back of our property. I always figured I could pull water from that, boil the heck out of it and then run it through my Brita filter. Good? Not good?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

A cautionary tale for you:

One day, a head of lettuce went into a bar and ordered himself a beer.
    Boom!!! He grew a neck and torso.
    He was so pleased about this, he ordered another beer and Boom!!! Two legs and two arms appeared
    He thought he would celebrate his new life by having another beer
    Boom!!!!! He blew up.

Moral of the story : Stop while you are a head

The Equine Fun Fact Of The Day : On the front cover of the July1976 issue of The Appaloosa News, John Denver was featured with an Appaloosa stallion that was featured on the album cover Windsong.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    We have a stream at the back of our property. I always figured I could pull water from that, boil the heck out of it and then run it through my Brita filter. Good? Not good?
    Theoretically, I could walk down the hill a block or so to Lake Washington. I figure that would provide enough water for awhile.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I’ve believed for a long time water will be the biggest crisis yet. If people don’t have good water they will move instead of die. Inadequate sewage systems, especially when these drenching storms hit. Fracking. Multiple onslaughts of chemicals dumped into water. Climate change.
    Our obsessions with perfect lawns, and often HOA’s rules not allowing stone etc. all contribute.
    IL asked what governments can do?
    watering restrictions. Not allow new golf courses in deserts. Fix aging pipes. Upgrade sewerage treatment plants.

As much as people love to dump on Florida, they have a law that you cannot require people to have grass. Native plants and ground covers are allowed. Once established they survive without additional water. Although slow to catch on in residential areas, it is a step in the right direction. Also I have two water systems. A non potable for irrigation if needed and potable for household needs.
    Also replacement of toilets and shower heads with lower use ones for example.

another very complex system that affects all of us locally, nationally and globally.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Also replacement of toilets and shower heads with lower use ones for example.
    Requiring composting toilets in new homes instead of flush toilets would be a better solution than water-conserving ones because composting toilets keep human waste completely out of the sanitary sewer system. They reduce both water use and the volume of solid waste sewerage treatment plants need to process.

And in my experience, handheld showerheads with a lever to quickly set the volume and pattern of water flow you want are far far better than low flow showerheads that just replace your regular showerhead. I've used a nice handheld for years and I'd never go back to a standard showerhead. I love being able to spray the water just where I want it, get a hard concentrated flow or a soft widespread flow, and leave the head in it's bracket so I can use it like a regular shower when I want to. Typically I use all of those modes while taking a shower to wash/rinse different parts of my body.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Inadequate sewage systems, especially when these drenching storms hit. Upgrade sewerage treatment plants.
    Modern cities build their stormwater drainage system totally separate from the sanitary sewer system, and all new neighborhoods ought to be built that way even in old cities to keep stormwater out of the sewerage treatment plant.

Cities also now require new construction to include low areas that act as stormwater catch areas and help prevent the stormwater drainage pipes being overwhelmed. The one at our local library is a good example. It would hold a lot of storm water and let it flow into the stormwater system slowly through it's small drain. And kids love to walk down into the center and back out on the spiral wall.

Library Storm Drain.jpg

My only experience with composting toilets are Tiny House Nation tv show and things I've read online. I have heard of "incinerating composting toilets" but have not investigated.

I like to think I would do okay with a composting toilet - allowing for adequate/appropriate disposal issues. (yes, I know there are ways, but I haven't gone that far... yet. LOL)

I like to think that I am willing to make adjustments to my life for environmental purposes. I don't think I'm there yet, but I'm starting and trying. It makes the future very interesting, to say the least. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information