Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Water crisis

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Not confused, merely mentioning an alternative. We had been talking about ways to reduce water usage, and this was an alternative to a composting toilet.
    Herbgeek: I've wondered about the Incinolet toilets (I see ads for them in Yankee magazine). Would you give it a thumbs up or thumbs down overall? I have used composting toilets; they have them at some MA highway rest stops. They are satisfactory but there is a creepiness factor that I think just comes from my own bias in being used to modern, water-based plumbing. I'm sure there isn't much rational about "what if something comes up and gets me while I'm sitting here?," but that doesn't mean it doesn't cross my mind!

Unless they have improved them by reducing cycle time, I wouldn't recommend them. As I mentioned, the burning cycle lasts for 90 minutes. It seems a waste to use that much electricity to just burn urine. If you have a way to divert urine usage, they'd be fine but otherwise you have the heat and the fan noise going All The Damn Time.

In theory they are great though, a week's worth of usage yields a small pan of ash. Most of that ash are the liners used each time to contain the contents. You really can't wait to turn it on every 3rd usage to reduce the noise as the liners don't hold that much.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Unless they have improved them by reducing cycle time, I wouldn't recommend them. As I mentioned, the burning cycle lasts for 90 minutes. It seems a waste to use that much electricity to just burn urine. If you have a way to divert urine usage, they'd be fine but otherwise you have the heat and the fan noise going All The Damn Time.

In theory they are great though, a week's worth of usage yields a small pan of ash. Most of that ash are the liners used each time to contain the contents. You really can't wait to turn it on every 3rd usage to reduce the noise as the liners don't hold that much.
    Thanks for the info. I don't know anyone else with direct experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Herbgeek: I've wondered about the Incinolet toilets (I see ads for them in Yankee magazine). Would you give it a thumbs up or thumbs down overall? I have used composting toilets; they have them at some MA highway rest stops. They are satisfactory but there is a creepiness factor that I think just comes from my own bias in being used to modern, water-based plumbing. I'm sure there isn't much rational about "what if something comes up and gets me while I'm sitting here?," but that doesn't mean it doesn't cross my mind!
    Something can come up through a pipe from the sewer or your septic system (especially if it's a cesspool) also. But I get you and I don't like the composting toilets either.

I always wanted one of these and wanted to live off the grid, etc. and read all these ads and talked a good game and then we moved to rural New York State and the creepiness factor won out.

Remember during the last energy crisis, or maybe it was during some other crisis, the old adage: "If it's yellow, keep it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down"?

There really isn't a big reason to even flush after every "deposit"--unless it's the solid kind.
    Also, Europe is much more sophisticated than we are with their plumbing: they have two flushers, one for liquids, one for solids, to enable minimum water usage for both options.

I like the idea of a composting toilet, but, like Tybee, I"m not likely at this age to pursue that option. Living in a rural community has benefits for males, however. DH and DS never come into the house to pee.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Also, Europe is much more sophisticated than we are with their plumbing: they have two flushers, one for liquids, one for solids, to enable minimum water usage for both options.
    But don't they use water with bidets and we don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    But don't they use water with bidets and we don't?
    That is true, although I still don't know why we don't sell the double-flushers in the US.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Something can come up through a pipe from the sewer or your septic system (especially if it's a cesspool) also. But I get you and I don't like the composting toilets either.
    Yes, I learned that rats are capable of doing this, and I wish I could un-learn that nasty little fact!

My stepson has a toilet that’s bolted to the wall and has the double flusher.

Thread Information