Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local Police Incident

Local Police Incident

I walk my dogs around a local pond/park that has a mile walking path around it. People exercise here, feed the ducks and geese and use the picnic tables and playground across the street. There’s been a young man obvious MI only wearing pants frequently singing and dancing in a joyful way off the path in no one’s way. He never bothers anyone. Someone called the police and when I got there he was surrounded by 4 big cops. They motion me to cross the street which I do.

Their tone of voice isn’t kind and the guy is obviously not going to hold a coherent conversation. I am concerned so stop and then notice a guy across the street in his car recording. I approached him and said I was concerned and that we have a crisis counseling team the police could call if necessary but really they should do nothing as there wasn’t a problem. The guy said it had been going on for a long time which is why he started filming. I walk a distance away and then stand to watch. I was hoping if they attracted enough people watching there might be a better outcome. Others stop as well.

Eventually a 5th police car arrived and talked to them. Eventually they all left. I am grateful that people can record and care enough about strangers to be a witness to events. I know that’s not always enough as police have hurt or killed people while in front of a crowd. I do feel for the police as they aren’t trained to handle these situations and wish every city had a crisis count team to help. I also wish I lived in a town where I respected the police.

I have heard that iPhone cameras are the new "confessionals." They are what hold people accountable. Very interesting trend.There is a lot not good about using media 24/7, but OTOH, if it causes people to pay attention and be a witness, that may be a good outcome.

Good for you, Terry, for being concerned and involved.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Out of curiosity, what makes you think several people watching and one recording from his car had any impact on the resolution? It sounds like you're implying that without witnesses, the mentally ill person would have been harmed in some way, which I find odd.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I think that it's always a better thing to have two or more people witness an event than one. A law enforcement officer and a social worker and a bystander are likely to have three different interpretations of an event, and it's a benefit to all involved to be able to triangulate the data and come to some agreement as to the actual events.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Because police locally have not only shot and killed MI people but also shot the daughter that called because she was worried about her mom. I have seen a few incidents downtown that people were minding their own business and once police arrived it didn’t go so well. The more witnesses and video the better. If nothing wrong is happening there shouldn’t be a problem. Video definitely protects police.

Back when Williamsmith was here I know I told the story about the guy in Kenosha flashing a badge and telling me he was a cop when I pointed my truck at him and threatened to run him over. He was trying to get a teenager into his car. I didn’t believe him and said that I would run him over first and then call the police. This was 35 years ago. I gave the girl a ride home. That time I figured if he was a real police officer he would have called for backup and I probably would have been in big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Out of curiosity, what makes you think several people watching and one recording from his car had any impact on the resolution? It sounds like you're implying that without witnesses, the mentally ill person would have been harmed in some way, which I find odd.
    Google "mentally ill people killed by police" and you will find more statistics that will break your heart than you can imagine.

There are people here who have said I should kick my MI son out and change the locks. Given what happens in this country I couldn't live with myself if he were on the streets facing those bad apples who kill people in numerous cases - such as that of Elijah McClain - because they are different. I have not read that McClain had a mental illness, but like my son he was extremely introverted and related better to animals than to most people.

Terry you did good.

Elijah’s story is heartbreaking. I am glad that they are finally prosecuting the police and paramedics. I don’t believe that he was homeless but merely had walked to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Elijah’s story is heartbreaking. I am glad that they are finally prosecuting the police and paramedics. I don’t believe that he was homeless but merely had walked to the store.
    You are correct. He was not homeless but he was different.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Merry Early Christmas! Today's gift is that I am going to refrain from posting in regards to either the police or filming the police here. You'all know what I think on these topics so I'll avoid controversy and pass. Rob

Thread Information