Thread: A new futuristic city

A new futuristic city

If this built from scratch city ever happens, we probably won't live to see it but it sounds like an interesting concept based on Scandinavian principles:
    https://cityoftelosa.com

It is nice to have a dream of possibilities.

The individualism in the US will prevent this from happening at all or succeeding to any extent unfortunately. Many will want to bring their in weapons, including assault weapons, into this city and want to wave them around to feel safe, the polarized politics where the 'other' party is the 'enemy' will poison any cooperative effort, and so on. Cooperation should be possible now not in some future dream but it is not happening. Please feel free to correct me with evidence to prove otherwise.

Sheesh, we cannot have even the most basic courtesy on these SL forums. Self-governance is seen as the individual's rights with limited thought of responsibility to the common.

It would be neat to see where it has succeeded in a Scandinavian country.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    If this built from scratch city ever happens, we probably won't live to see it but it sounds like an interesting concept based on Scandinavian principles:
    https://cityoftelosa.com
    Imagine how wonderful it would be to live in a city where a small group of people who secretly call themselves "The Masters of the Universe" make all the decisions about which stores and which schools and which types of businesses can exist within their wonderful domain, and where those same people control every aspect of your life like a hyper-super HOA with little or no input from you because they're the experts and you're not.

Utopian dreams of managed communities or commune-style model cities always fall apart or turn into tyrannies, because in any group effort of that size, greedy egotistical power-hungry people always rise to the top, pushing good people out of those positions by whatever means necessary, just as Machiavelli predicted.

Related reading: "Walden Two" by B.F. Skinner and "Living Walden Two: B. F. Skinner's Behaviorist Utopia and Experimental Communities" by Hilke Kuhlmann.

I love a lot of what Skinner proposed in Walden Two, most of it in fact, but there's also that unobtrusive out-of-the-way back room where the physiologist experts decide what all the ordinary people should be programmed to believe and how the ordinary people should act, and of course that same room is the place where people who are unhappy or feel like they don't fit in go to receive counseling to fix their "problem" so they'll be happy little citizens again.

Well...I can see where our present system isn't quite working so I like to imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    The individualism in the US will prevent this from happening at all or succeeding to any extent unfortunately.
    I like to believe you’re right. I like to believe there is a substantial percentage of Americans unwilling to live their lives to someone else’s blueprint.

I have seen a number of "new" ideas for communities fail to provide what the members were originally looking for. 1. Too expensive and totally exclusive, 2. businesses necessary for life were not able to participate due to high cost of entry and restrictions, 3. Lost "newness", 4. People became disenchanted with the dictates of the few who, of course, know better.

You can see this a lot in various cohousing communities where the goals were oriented to doing the "right thing" when the founders were designing and building. However, as life progressed it became difficult for the group to make new decisions on almost anything.

Of course with unlimited money and a limited population in total agreement, a new community can be built around any principles you want. I prefer organically grown and diverse communities.

Thread Information