Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Over/under on California recall election

Over/under on California recall election

What say you on the election to recall California’s governor?

I say he retains his seat, but this has to put a scare in him and a few governors around the country.

I've given up on prediction, since I said there was no way Trump could win the Presidency. Just no way it happens.

But I don't think Newsom gets recalled. Newsom is a light weight nobody who stands for little (unlike say a Jerry Brown, who I may not have always agreed with, but he actually took running the state seriously).

But this recall makes me so angry. I'm angry at the Republican party for of course having the recall in the first place for no other reason than they can't win an election otherwise, and then not even having a candidate they back (they have not endorsed), much less a remotely serious one they back. They are just chaos agents at this point in this state, they have no power, but they exist to create chaos.

AND ... I'm so angry at the Democratic party for playing Russian roulette with the state and not allowing a backup serious Dem to run if Newsom was recalled, who frankly would probably beat out any Republican just due to how blue the state is. Imagine holding a state of 40 million hostage to two @#$#ty political parties! Oh well since the 2nd question (which is independent of whether one votes yes/no on recalling Newsom) is mostly clowns especially those who can win (a 28 year old realestate youtube influence, give me a break), on it I'm voting my conscience, I'm voting the Green party guy.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What say you on the election to recall California’s governor?
    I've pretty much given up on American civilization at this point.

Yppej
    I think my governor might be scared and waiting to see what happens. He is refusing to answer questions about whether he will run for a third term.

In most other states a recall means the lt governor takes over. The idea that if we recall him means that whoever got the most votes out of the :40-whatever candidates gets the most votes is absurd. We could end up with a governor that got less than 10% of the vote…

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    In most other states a recall means the lt governor takes over. The idea that if we recall him means that whoever got the most votes out of the :40-whatever candidates gets the most votes is absurd. We could end up with a governor that got less than 10% of the vote…
    Agreed.

I will further elaborate that this California event looks like a shxtshow to me because:

1. The legal process for recall is a poor one as (apparently) allowing new candidates into the office
    2. the recall process is being used inappropriately—this is not intended for “I dont like your policies waaaanh waaaanh”
    3. there is no Democratic candidate as backup to the governor on the ballot

Fortunately it is likely the Governor will remain. Lots of noise and money, though, thrown at this effort, and serves as a distraction against the real impeachable offense going on in Washington D.C.

What real impeachable offense in DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Knowingly going against a clear Supreme Court ruling.

This isn’t King Joseph’s country no matter how hard The Squad is yapping at his heels to act that way.

This is a tyrannical act. I will accept the arguement that “but Trump did it…but Obamaba did it…” because yeah, they did in different degrees. And now we see this point on the slippery slope and it is where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think the most recent was President Biden's request that Afghan President Ghani "project strength, whether it's true or not" in order to provide cover for Biden's chaotic withdrawal from the country before planning for an orderly evacuation of American citizens. This request sounds oddly familiar to anyone familiar with the Articles of Impeachment served against the previous President but oddly enough has gotten very little coverage in our suddenly un-curious media.

That was about the same time, probably the same week if I recall correctly, that President Biden issued an Executive Order to use the force of government to deny property owners due process on something he knew to be unconstitutional, but knowing that our partisan Congress would allow him to do so unchecked and believing his base would forgive him for it. Again, oddly enough, our Congress and media seem to no longer consider that sort of thing to be dictatorial or a threat to a vibrant democratic republic when it certainly was just a year or so ago.

Personally, I hope any talk of impeachment doesn't gain any traction since we've recently seen the tragic waste of time and energy these foolishly partisan actions are and their effect on people's trust in their government. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be held accountable, and I think he will be. I found it interesting recently to read that approximately 20% of Biden voting Democrats now regret their vote. I find that refreshing, especially now that we can't depend on our other political institutions or media to provide their historical checks and balances role on the office. All we have left is the Supreme Court and with Biden's stated intention of stacking that, who knows how much longer that protection will hold.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information