Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over/under on California recall election

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Do we get to first deduct the cost of reparations for former slaves and for the union’s cost of the civil war from the slave owner reparations?
    I think the endless complications, historical, legal, even genealogical or otherwise highlight what an absurdity any notion of a fair reparations bill would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    An interesting question. At least one California media outlet has labeled him as the black face of white supremacy so I guess there's some acknowledgement of his race, but that same media didn't seem to see any sign of racism when a white woman in a gorilla mask threw an egg at him yesterday. That sort of surprised me because I've been led to believe that all negative actions/reactions against a person of color is proof of racism and white supremacy. Of course, it's possible that being a Republican trumps being black once then candidate Biden told us that if you don't vote Democratic you're not black, which seems to be a pretty well accepted principle within the party.

Race relations are tricky since you never really know what the rules are, for example Democrats and national media didn't seem to notice President Biden referring to a black FEMA official as "boy" on live television a week or so ago. I feel pretty confident that no Republican could get away with that. It's all so confusing.
    Ok, so today I zapped a troublesome Nextdoor post that equated speeding ATVs downtown with golf cart drivers. I zapped it on the basis of Nextdoor’s anti-stereotyping policy. In our city’s race war it’s probably easy to identify which demographic has taken over downtown streets late at night running loud and dangerously fast ATV vehicles and which demographic is riding around our gentrified historic neighborhoods in quiet electric golf carts. Which is not to say the golf carts aren’t sometimes dangerous because of their slow speed, but…

And then today I read on another Forum a post about “testosterone poisoning” and I thought to myself oh yeah, if I turn that around and mention something about “estrogen poisoning, “that will not go over well.

Stereotyping and mean-spiritedness is stereotyping and mean-spiritedness even when the woke crowd does it.

As for reparations, that shit is just dumb.

They just thought you were taking a view they believe to be a universally held right wing position, which sort of backs up my earlier post. Just because they were wrong to do so doesn't mean you should just fold and go silent, especially if you can use those self-described abilities to provide "sense and political fair play" to a discussion. That's what keeps discussions interesting.
    Actually they were accusing me of having an extreme left-wing pro-illegal immigration opinion and parroting the "liberal media". And when I clarified that I was talking about people who are against legal immigration, I was told that if that was what I meant I should have said it that way, as though every time I say anything I should automatically add enough adjectives so that no one can ever possible misunderstand. I mean like "licensed drivers" and "registered Republicans" and "native born Americans". (I'm summarizing for brevity, but you get the picture.) But this is an unmoderated forum and that's the way it is. So even though I may from time to time make a brief political comment when I've read an untrue cliche one time too many, I'd much rather I stand safely on the sidelines and watch you guys pointlessly fight with no chance of anyone ever changing anyone elses mind.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    I'd much rather I stand safely on the sidelines and watch you guys pointlessly fight with no chance of anyone ever changing anyone elses mind.
    Oh, I see. You think the purpose of discussion is to convert the unconvertible rather than simply present another view. I can see how that might be frustrating.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Larry Elder on the phone with CA’s Secretary of State tonight ‘I just need you to find 2.8 million votes. I’ll take care of the rest…’

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    $300 million of taxpayer money for the recall

https://abc7news.com/ca-recall-elect...wsom/11021178/

I often wonder how much taxpayer money this country is wasting on recounts, impeachment’s, recalls, suing back and forth on abortion, voting rights, gay rights, religion, claims of election fraud and so on. Imagine if all that money could go towards bettering our country instead of tearing it down and turning citizens against each other. .

And the recall was not even ABOUT ANYTHING pretty much. The french laundry, that's not enough for anything.

There was no single candidate supported by the recall supporters, the Republican party such as exists (barely in CA) didn't back anyone. There were no issues that would ever appeal but to a tiny minority of the states voters. They kept thinking running on super red state issues would play in California, rather than even trying to broaden appeal to ANY other group. As if all that was necessary was to win a few rural areas, uh that's not where most of the population is.

Newsom is probably more popular than ever in a way that lightweight no way deserves, but run a ridiculous recall against him and yea. And what message would anyone send by voting "yes" on the recall? I don't even know. That restrictions were too strict? Hospitals literally became overwhelmed because Newsom choose xmas shopping over human life. Last winter Newsom WAS De(ath) Santis. But there was no vaccine then? Yes exactly, that's why they should have shut stuff down when cases were getting out of hand, and didn't, because there was no vaccine to help! But people want us to vote that the measures taken were too severe? I don't even know what other completely dumb issues were ran on. The laundry (er not french) list I saw was ridiculous, gas taxes, water taxes, what a bunch of nonsense. Taxes on scarce or polluting resources can make a lot of sense just from an encouraging conservation perspective, never even mind raising revenue.

But if Newsom becomes President someday I do sincerely apologize for not recalling him and inflicting him on the world. Just the recall was -r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    $300 million of taxpayer money for the recall

https://abc7news.com/ca-recall-elect...wsom/11021178/

I often wonder how much taxpayer money this country is wasting on recounts, impeachment’s, recalls, suing back and forth on abortion, voting rights, gay rights, religion, claims of election fraud and so on. Imagine if all that money could go towards bettering our country instead of tearing it down and turning citizens against each other. .
    I agree with this. Add state ballot constitutional amendments to the list, those things that try to be law. If state legislatures would take back and use their power appropriately, we wouldn’t have to be presented with these things on ballots.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I've pretty much given up on American civilization at this point.
    Hear, hear!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh, I see. You think the purpose of discussion is to convert the unconvertible rather than simply present another view. I can see how that might be frustrating.
    No, I think the purpose of discussion is to exchange differing viewpoints and encourage both people to think more deeply about the subject, even if it just makes someone think more deeply about their own position in an effort to justify it.

The unconvertible who won't even consider the possibility that there may be some truth in the opposite position aren't worth talking to, let alone arguing with, because neither they nor you will learn anything from the encounter.

Thread Information