Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over/under on California recall election

If he were to win, would Larry Elder be California’s first black governor?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If he were to win, would Larry Elder be California’s first black governor?
    An interesting question. At least one California media outlet has labeled him as the black face of white supremacy so I guess there's some acknowledgement of his race, but that same media didn't seem to see any sign of racism when a white woman in a gorilla mask threw an egg at him yesterday. That sort of surprised me because I've been led to believe that all negative actions/reactions against a person of color is proof of racism and white supremacy. Of course, it's possible that being a Republican trumps being black once then candidate Biden told us that if you don't vote Democratic you're not black, which seems to be a pretty well accepted principle within the party.

Race relations are tricky since you never really know what the rules are, for example Democrats and national media didn't seem to notice President Biden referring to a black FEMA official as "boy" on live television a week or so ago. I feel pretty confident that no Republican could get away with that. It's all so confusing.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    An interesting question. At least one California media outlet has labeled him as the black face of white supremacy so I guess there's some acknowledgement of his race, but that same media didn't seem to see any sign of racism when a white woman in a gorilla mask threw an egg at him yesterday. That sort of surprised me because I've been led to believe that all negative actions/reactions against a person of color is proof of racism and white supremacy. Of course, it's possible that being a Republican trumps being black once then candidate Biden told us that if you don't vote Democratic you're not black, which seems to be a pretty well accepted principle within the party.

Race relations are tricky since you never really know what the rules are, for example Democrats and national media didn't seem to notice President Biden referring to a black FEMA official as "boy" on live television. I feel pretty confident that no Republican could get away with that. It's all so confusing.
    Sigh. I do very little of trying to negotiate my way through the morass of race relations talk, I just try to skirt it all here in the land where every issue is about race even when it’s not.

I skirt it because it is boring. But as a Nextdoor moderator who voluntarily took their course on anti-discrimination and bias, I still have trouble knowing when to zap certain posts.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Knowingly going against a clear Supreme Court ruling.
    There's a big difference between "knowingly going against a Supreme Court ruling" vs trying to rewrite and limit an executive order (or a law) in a way that eliminates the aspects the Supreme Court objected to. One is wrong, and the other is a totally legitimate balance-of-power legislative process.

But of course the propagandizing right wing pundits will never see the difference unless it's a republican committing the offense.

And that's all I'm going to say about that, because I already know talking sense and political fairplay in this thread would be totally useless. So in the words of Mammy Yokum https://www.google.com/search?channe...m+li%27l+abner "I has spoken."

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    But of course the propagandizing right wing pundits will never see the difference unless it's a republican committing the offense.

And that's all I'm going to say about that, because I already know talking sense and political fairplay in this thread would be totally useless.
    Ha ha, that's funny. If you really wanted to see propagandizing you should have been here during the Bush and Trump years.

All attempts at "talking sense and political fairplay" during those eras invariably led to overt anger and name calling by those who have now gone politically silent. Please let those of us attempting to draw them out of their ideological safe spaces enjoy the challenge. You could even engage a bit yourself if you'd like, I sense little to no chance of anyone holding it against you.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I can't imagine there are too many black people who are supportive of Elder's position on slavery reparations.

Ha ha, that's funny. If you really wanted to see propagandizing you should have been here during the Bush and Trump years.
    I was here, and elsewhere, during the Trump years. I just wasn't posting here. And I wasn't posting about anything even vaguely political anywhere because the right wing was so biased and vindictive that no useful conversation could take place. To a large extent, the same is still true -- lots of exaggerated claims about what the other side wants or is trying to do, with very little nuance and even fewer objective facts.

Little to no chance of anyone holding it against you
    Have you forgotten the way I was blasted for saying something about anti-immigration extremists? Certain people automatically assumed I was talking about everyone who opposes illegal immigration, whereas I was actually referring to the extremist people who oppose all immigration (supporters of Trump's "muslim ban" etc) and the SLF members who intentionally misread my middle-of-the road position as a direct attack on their beliefs instantly went on the attack.

So I was reluctant to post the message you replied to, and from now on my reply to almost anything political will usually be {crickets}.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Have you forgotten the way I was blasted for saying something about anti-immigration extremists? Certain people automatically assumed I was talking about everyone who opposes illegal immigration, whereas I was actually referring to the extremist people who oppose all immigration (supporters of Trump's "muslim ban" etc) and the SLF members who intentionally misread my middle-of-the road position as a direct attack on their beliefs instantly went on the attack.
    They just thought you were taking a view they believe to be a universally held right wing position, which sort of backs up my earlier post. Just because they were wrong to do so doesn't mean you should just fold and go silent, especially if you can use those self-described abilities to provide "sense and political fair play" to a discussion. That's what keeps discussions interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I can't imagine there are too many black people who are supportive of Elder's position on slavery reparations.
    That depends upon if you approach his views from a legal standpoint or a moral one, and I can't imagine simply assuming black people can't appreciate the value of property rights. If you take emotion out of the debate it might prove to be an interesting discussion, but I suspect that's not possible.

That depends upon if you approach his views from a legal standpoint or a moral one, and I can't imagine simply assuming black people can't appreciate the value of property rights. If you take emotion out of the debate it might prove to be an interesting discussion, but I suspect that's not possible.
    Do we get to first deduct the cost of reparations for former slaves and for the union’s cost of the civil war from the slave owner reparations?

Thread Information