Thread: Companies Reducing The Amount Of Product.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Companies Reducing The Amount Of Product.....

Something I've been running across lately - companies are reducing the amount of a given product and either charging the same or more as before for less product. Just the other day I noticed Smirnoff Ice bottles are no longer 12 ounces in size but 11.2 - this is just one example. What do you make of this? I find it very irritating, personally. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Something I've been running across lately - companies are reducing the amount of a given product and either charging the same or more as before for less product.
    They've been doing that ever since I was a child. Candy bars slowly got a little bit smaller and a little bit smaller as the cost of ingredients went up, because a lot of them were sold in vending machines and raising the price would require going up in 5-cent jumps. The size of the candy bar wrapper often stayed the same too.

The same thing happened with bags of potato chips, cookies, etc. And that was in the 1950s and 1960s.

That’s been going on for years. 5lb bags of sugar became 4lbs.

Ice cream, etc.......
    A way to h prices, without being seen as raising prices.

The annoying thing for some things is how much better it would be if they just raised the price. Some recipes were designed for certain quantities, do they really think using 1 1/4th of something, one now has to find another use for, or just scimping on an ingredient in a recipe, is better than just raising the price? Such bad customer service really, just raise the price already. It IS irritating in a way a price increase wouldn't be.
    Trees don't grow on money

CEREAL! In my area - in my opinion - the price is just too high for the quantity received. I just don't buy it anymore.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information