Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you afraid of?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    In my youth I was afraid of tornados, but have since beat that with logic.
    Yeah, those too.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    - Heights
    - Confined spaces
    - Injuries
    - Heavy weather events
    - Wildfire
    - Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds
    I forgot about heights.

Rats, mice.
    Fast boats (as a passenger)
    Riding as a passenger when certain people are driving.
    Becoming poor, as in losing SSI, pension, beyond my control (govt or political reasons)

I've never done it because I think it would be too scary (I know, Tradd)--SCUBA diving.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

In my youth I was afraid of tornados, but have since beat that with logic.
    Because the President says no one calls them tornadoes anymore?

George, i have known dogs who have fear of thresholds. Is that the about their depth perception I wonder? My current bulldog (a bundle of phobias) shows occasional threshhold fear.
    Could be, I suppose. Refusing to jump over an 8-inch tall fence might mean it has blurry vision and isn't quite sure where the top edge of the fence is. My best guess, if I'm playing dog psychologist, would be that something unpleasant happened one time when they crossed a barrier as a puppy. Maybe they got temporarily lost and were scared. Or maybe someone intentionally taught them not to enter a room without permission and now they get confused.

My big rescue dog Noki would not walk across a grate where he could see through. I have had 2 Maltese that are afraid of steps they could see down if there’s no back on them. One of those Maltese was really afraid of heights.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Could be, I suppose. Refusing to jump over an 8-inch tall fence might mean it has blurry vision and isn't quite sure where the top edge of the fence is. My best guess, if I'm playing dog psychologist, would be that something unpleasant happened one time when they crossed a barrier as a puppy. Maybe they got temporarily lost and were scared. Or maybe someone intentionally taught them not to enter a room without permission and now they get confused.
    My first dog had a fear of bridges--we had to drag him across bridges--even little walking paths over shallow, dry terrain.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Catfish I encounter when diving. 3ft and up. The 6ft monsters scare the hell out of me. Encountered one once at a diving quarry in far southern IL. I will never go there again. I can’t even watch videos.
    In the 1970s a car went off a bridge and fell into Lake Lanier (a TVA-type lake in north Georgia). Divers who went down looking for the car to recover the body, came back to the surface scared sh_tless. They said there were houses down there and a lot of dead trees and abandoned powerlines, and the water was very muddy near the bottom. But what had really scared them was having a couple of 8-9 foot catfish suddenly swim by them just a few yards away in the murky water.

For people who think giant catfish are an urban legend, here is a photo of a small giant catfish:

Catfish.jpg

My fears - no particular order.
    Snakes - really creep me out.
    Heights - my legs actually tingle even looking at pictures of people climbing mountains, sitting on ledges, etc.
    Reading in public - results of being a poor reader and having to read out loud in class from grade school to college.
    Swimming in open waters
    Fear of dropping the baby, older siblings were not allow to carry the baby around the house.
    Fear of drowning in medical debt, because we have very little control of pricing in medical field.
    Fear of seeing a cougar if I run in early morning hours.

Not really a fear, but just realized that hosting family gatherings brings me great anxiety. The need for it to be perfect ruins the
    event for me and ultimately my family. I would rather just go out to dinner.

I ain't afraid of nobody or nothing! (said the cowardly lion)

I have a touch of free-floating anxiety. Most of the time I'm fine. But if I start to really worry about something and get scared about it, my anxiety attaches to those negative thoughts and magnifies them. It's controllable by using mindfulness and Cognitive Behavioral methods, but sometimes I really have to work at staying calm and not letting myself slip back into the excessive fear cycle.

So, paraphrasing Marlon Brando in The Wild Ones:

Q: "What are you afraid of?"
    A: "What have you got available?"

Thread Information