Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you afraid of?

Standing on questionable ice, and seeing it crack under my feet.

Panicking people.

I really, really hate rats.

- Heights
    - Confined spaces
    - Injuries
    - Heavy weather events
    - Wildfire
    - Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

to a degree too many things to count

- unemployment (oh yea definitely do)
    - poverty
    - disease (not at a hypochondriac level, but yea I fear bad diseases)
    - medical procedures
    - death of loved ones
    - climate change (this is constant background dread, but usually of the future)
    - we have coyotes here, I have a bit of fear of encountering them walking at night, because I've straight out seen them walking down the street at night, even if they aren't supposed to be dangerous,. I don't think about it at all UNTIL I'm foolish enough to be walking at night, and then I remember" "uh oh ..."
    - I don't know if I'd call my reaction to heights even exactly a fear, I don't like and usually avoid looking down when high up is kind of the extent of it
    Trees don't grow on money

In my youth I was afraid of tornados, but have since beat that with logic.

I am afraid of buildings and other structures collapsing in earthquakes. I'm currently in a one story apartment, so being that's how I choose to live, I might have some fears . But it's not like I don't enter other buildings, just I've always thought about how my offices etc. would fare in an earthquake. It's never preventing me form entering them but ...
    Trees don't grow on money

--being around angry, toxic, unpredictable people
    --the idea of mountain climbing (never done it, but I can't think of anything scarier)
    --very loud noises
    --plane crashes--or rather, the few times when I was on a plane and had irrational anxiety over the plane crashing, as well the rational fear of the plane crashing when I was involved in two emergency landings
    --pain/hospitals (not hospitals in general, just being in the hospital due to a painful event)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The next town over was devastated years ago by a tornado. The siren went off in the community where I live one time and the people on the street around me were literally screaming and panicking. I could feel my hair standing on end. Their fear was contagious.

I definitely have a fear of crime as I had someone try to break into my apartment twice in Wichita when I was 19 and had a baby. To make it worse my husband was away both times on duty in the military and Wichita had the BTK killer around. I also had a few other bad random experiences so I only considered condos in a secure building. That severely limited my options.

I am mildly claustrophobic and took Xanax to have MRIs. I am afraid of snakes and heights. I never was afraid of flying until in my late 40’s I was on a flight where people were praying and crying. The stewardess was strapped in among the passengers and when some asked her a question she said it didn’t matter because we were all going to die. She was not young and losing her shit. After that I needed a buddy and Xanax to fly. Now I just need Xanax.

Catfish I encounter when diving. 3ft and up. The 6ft monsters scare the hell out of me. Encountered one once at a diving quarry in far southern IL. I will never go there again. I can’t even watch videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Catfish I encounter when diving. 3ft and up. The 6ft monsters scare the hell out of me. Encountered one once at a diving quarry in far southern IL. I will never go there again. I can’t even watch videos.
    OMG. Right. I forgot one on my list:

- Sea monsters

I visited the Steinhardt Aquarium in SF once, and they have an amazing display of Fish Of Your Nightmares.

Thread Information