Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My favorite NEW way to purge stuff! !

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What is a German
    silver runner? I mean I have a vague idea of German silver, but I have no idea what a “runner” is in silver.
    Mr. Google does not help me here.
    Same here. To me a runner is a long narrow rug you put in a hallway.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Same here. To me a runner is a long narrow rug you put in a hallway.
    Or a table runner.

fabric in these examples.

It is a piece the same shape as a carpet runner, but to be put on a table. The German silver was little bits of metal, folded over netting, in a pattern of silver/nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    It is a piece the same shape as a carpet runner, but to be put on a table. The German silver was little bits of metal, folded over netting, in a pattern of silver/nothing.
    It sounds very pretty!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

It was gorgeous and heavy. Must have been for the formal dining table because it was > 6' long and about 2.5 feet wide. Weighed a lot. I had no idea what to do with it. Too big to put on a wall, even in a frame. Too big and heavy to use on any table I've ever owned. But it was gorgeous and so I moved it, for > 40 years.

I probably sold it too cheap, but I was tired of moving it around and never using it.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    It was gorgeous and heavy. Must have been for the formal dining table because it was > 6' long and about 2.5 feet wide. Weighed a lot. I had no idea what to do with it. Too big to put on a wall, even in a frame. Too big and heavy to use on any table I've ever owned. But it was gorgeous and so I moved it, for > 40 years.

I probably sold it too cheap, but I was tired of moving it around and never using it.
    Thanks for this explanation of a German silver table runner. I really cannot visualize what that Victorian thing is, and I thought I was reasonably well acquainted with Victorian dining accoutrements. One of these days I’ll run across a version of it, but it seems pretty rare to me.

Thread Information