Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Workplace Vaccine Mandate

I loved the Trixie Belden books, but I also enjoyed Nancy Drew books for the plot I guess. I remember even back then thinking the Nancy books were wildly unrealistic, and I appreciated the fact that Trixie had chores and brothers that teased her, etc.

Thank you Alan.

I didn’t read either Nancy Drew or Trixie Beldon. Our tiny town had a library, so that was great to have access to those books. The only series books I read that I remember was Bobsey Twins, and only those because I ran out of reading material. I hated them, so cloying.

Oddly, I do not remember ever reading Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.Thinking of all the children’s classics, I did not read Black Neauty, Old Yeller, Anne of Greene Gables, and many other American standards. Early on I gravitated to English authors.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-13-21 at 1:06pm.

I read a couple of the Nancy Drew books, but I really liked the series by Alice B Emerson that began with Ruth Fielding of the Red Mill.s-l300.jpg

I loved Tricia Belden books.

My grandfather had a secret passion - classic era science fiction and pulp mystery/horror.

He lived in about a 900 sq. ft. farmhouse. Which was built on a small hill overlooking his farm. It had a basement underneath though, dug into the hill, that he kept expanding over the years. The hill had some exterior entrances to get into the garage and auto repair areas he excavated. There were workshops and food storage and food preservation rooms (canning, cheesemaking, meat processing) down in the magical dungeons.

But to me, the treasure was a room hidden away in there. You opened up the nearly-secret door, into a room that was completely lined with bookshelves, with a table and several library chairs, and good lighting. The shelves were groaning with all the classic sci fi magazines, pulp mystery magazines, science/engineering books and magazines going back to the Age of Steam.

I remember pulling down my first book, nearly at random. It was a leap into a whole new world:

Bae, a secret library! That is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My grandfather had a secret passion - classic era science fiction and pulp mystery/horror.

He lived in about a 900 sq. ft. farmhouse. Which was built on a small hill overlooking his farm. It had a basement underneath though, dug into the hill, that he kept expanding over the years. The hill had some exterior entrances to get into the garage and auto repair areas he excavated. There were workshops and food storage and food preservation rooms (canning, cheesemaking, meat processing) down in the magical dungeons.

But to me, the treasure was a room hidden away in there. You opened up the nearly-secret door, into a room that was completely lined with bookshelves, with a table and several library chairs, and good lighting. The shelves were groaning with all the classic sci fi magazines, pulp mystery magazines, science/engineering books and magazines going back to the Age of Steam.

I remember pulling down my first book, nearly at random. It was a leap into a whole new world:

My dad was a big Tom Swift fan. Also Doc Savage.

And I forget the name, but a magazine about adventures related to railroads.

That secret library is really cool!

I loved Nancy Drew as a kid, but they weren't available in my parochial school library--the nuns clamped down on the book series with the rationale that reading many by one author would restrict our vocabulary. My parents wouldn't let me read any comic books, so MAD Magazine and Archie & Veronica became forbidden fruit. I don't remember too many specific books I loved except for The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. That book made a huge impression on me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    That secret library is really cool!

I loved Nancy Drew as a kid, but they weren't available in my parochial school library--the nuns clamped down on the book series with the rationale that reading many by one author would restrict our vocabulary. My parents wouldn't let me read any comic books, so MAD Magazine and Archie & Veronica became forbidden fruit. I don't remember too many specific books I loved except for The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

My parents let me read anything. But they also found a steady stream of purchase books as well as library books to me, and the only time I remember reading comics while on summer vacation at the resort where there were hundreds of them.

I’m not sure why I never occurred to me to buy them, so Archie and Veronica were fun for the summer but that’s it.

I do remember a period in early to mid teens reading true romance magazines with their hints of sex, or some were full of rather blatent sex, getting hooked on those emo things that were pretty much bottom of the barrel. So I have had my “junk “reading episodes.

Thread Information