Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Workplace Vaccine Mandate

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I have several friends with documented long-term medical conditions that make getting the vaccine a bad idea, per their doctors. Their medical exemptions have been refused by their employers. These are long term friends who are NOT anti vaxxers. They’re actually pretty distressed they can’t get the vax. Their employers are threatening to fire them. They’ve all gone to lawyers about this. Different employers in different areas of the country. None are in health care or first responder jobs.
    I don't doubt the situation, but wonder if it is more employer specific rather than relating to the new Federal mandates.

I wonder if there will be more proliferation of fake cards or if there is some sort of digital record to verify.

Here is a news story about one quarantine in my state:

https://whdh.com/7-investigates/hank...ne-conditions/

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I don't doubt the situation, but wonder if it is more employer specific rather than relating to the new Federal mandates.

I wonder if there will be more proliferation of fake cards or if there is some sort of digital record to verify.
    This is employer specific. We’re not talking about religious exemptions, but medical. One person can’t get the flu shot because of being severely allergic to some ingredient. Life threatening reaction. Her doctor told her the covid vax would likely provoke the same reaction. Her doctor provided all sorts of documentation and her employer still rejected the medical exemption. Now this is bordering on weapons grade stupidity. You’re threatening to fire someone for not getting a vax that could kill them? We’re not taking about someone talking their doctor into writing an exemption letter for something mild or questionable.

Tradd, I really don’t know how the employer could reject a well documented medical exemption. It’s bizarre. I can’t take the shingles vaccine because I am extremely allergic to one of the ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tradd, I really don’t know how the employer could reject a well documented medical exemption. It’s bizarre. I can’t take the shingles vaccine because I am extremely allergic to one of the ingredients.
    I have no clue. I’ve read elsewhere on line a few weeks back of employers rejecting ALL medical exemptions. I have no idea if that’s true, but multiple people are saying that’s their employers’ policy, and given what the people I actually know are running into, I’m leaning towards it being true. It’s going to take a minimum of letters from lawyers threatening legal action for some employers to see sense about documented medical conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    This is employer specific. We’re not talking about religious exemptions, but medical. One person can’t get the flu shot because of being severely allergic to some ingredient. Life threatening reaction. Her doctor told her the covid vax would likely provoke the same reaction. Her doctor provided all sorts of documentation and her employer still rejected the medical exemption. Now this is bordering on weapons grade stupidity. You’re threatening to fire someone for not getting a vax that could kill them? We’re not taking about someone talking their doctor into writing an exemption letter for something mild or questionable.
    Unless your friends belong to a union or have a management position with a formal employment contract, they're probably classified as an "employee at will". That means either the employer or employee can end their employment at any time for any reason with or without prior notice. Of course if someone believes they've been fired unfairly they can file a lawsuit against their employer, but that becomes part of the public record, and any new potential employer who does a background check will see it.... I mean, what kind of moron would hire someone who sued their former employer, right?

Better for your friends to find a new job with an employer who isn't an a$$hole as quickly as they can, imo. Mandatory vaccination as a company policy or a government mandate is going to be a fact of life from now on, just like you can't enroll your kids in school if they haven't had their mandatory childhood vaccines.

BTW I don't have a smallpox vaccine scar on my arm, but almost everyone else my age does. I was inoculated three times and none of them took, so I had to keep a doctor's certificate on file at my elementary school saying I have natural immunity so the teachers wouldn't freak out when they noticed I didn't have a scar on my arm. So, mandatory vaccinations are nothing new, but it will take a while before everybody realizes that some people actually are legitimately exempt from getting vaccinated.

Ref what I just said about me not having a smallpox vaccine scar: https://twitter.com/holtonbarb/statu...05652510031875

ExvTJHcWEAc-XfT.jpg

I have the scar, but I think later the vaccine was administered in a way that did not leave a scar.

Unless your friends belong to a union or have a management position with a formal employment contract, they're probably classified as an "employee at will". That means either the employer or employee can end their employment at any time for any reason with or without prior notice.
    Well yes but there is also the ADA etc.. There are things employers don't want to fall on the wrong side of.

When I got fired from a job awhile ago, some suggested the employee that got me fired, used their clout under the ADA (they had physical problems) to get me fired. I was like no, probably not, they just used their clout of being a more senior employee who knew more about the company etc. and thus were more valuable to the company, and were probably: fire her or I quit. Not that I will ever really know of course, except that they got me fired, that much was obvious.

As for panic about employees leaving might as well panic about the sun coming up today or something, it's that much a part of life. So the company my bf works for has lost a lot of their truck drivers and won't pay more. If they initially paid as little as possible to maximize profits or something, it's now become a character trait, they are pretty much destroying the company rather than pay more. But the employees aren't leaving due to vaccine mandates. We just lost an incredibly valuable employee, and now I'm in that seat, but not to vaccine mandates. I wouldn't want a bad boss either, and worker bees leave a lot more often than managers but managers can also leave. Why don't I leave, being that there's jobs and money all over apparently. I hate job searching, I'm not unhappy with the job, I can still learn things at this job.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 9-10-21 at 1:55pm.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Well yes but there is also the ADA etc.. There are things employers don't want to fall on the wrong side of.
    True that.

Thread Information