Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Itís My Party

Itís My Party

I see Andrew Yang will be leaving the Democrats to start his own political party. He got some grief for criticizing the defund-the-police movement and thinking it was OK for Israel to shoot back.

He seems to be doing it to sell a book, starting a 3rd party in order to push book sales.

Seems a grift. But I'm like why, isn't he supposed to have money or something, what does he need to grift anyway? I think it's about wanting the attention, needing to be in the limelight, ego not money (but maybe $ too).

A 3rd party, oh very well, unless one is pushing ranked choice voting (and maybe not even then, it wasn't favorable to Yang at any rate), that's not going anywhere. It's not that I won't vote 3rd party if the choices are distasteful enough (no I don't have to vote if all the choices are bad - run better people), but I don't expect anything to come of it.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Teddy Roosevelt he ain’t.

I liked him when I heard him speak in Plaistow, New Hampshire. He also had the most enthusiastic crowd of the 13 candidates I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    He seems to be doing it to sell a book, starting a 3rd party in order to push book sales.
    Given his obvious political ambitions and his determination in pursuing them and the nature of his book, it is far more likely that he wrote the book to get a lengthy explanation of his political philosophy into the hands of as many people as possible (via book sales and libraries) and to get himself on as many talk shows as possible to discuss his agenda between now and the next election. In that scenario, starting a minor third party would be a good way to gather together and galvanize a strong base of people who support his ideas.

I was a little surprised to see a schism on the Democratsí side before the GOP. I would have thought the differences between the Trump wing and the more traditional conservatives were greater than those between the various species of Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I was a little surprised to see a schism on the Democrats’ side before the GOP. I would have thought the differences between the Trump wing and the more traditional conservatives were greater than those between the various species of Democrat.
    Will Andrew Yang attract any Never-Trumping Republicans? Should I check himout? I’m pretty desperate to get away from the Always-Tumpers.Maybe I romanticize a third-party, but I think it would be nice to have a strong third-party. I always thought Trump had potential to form that third party with the force of his personality, but he seems to have no principles on which to build. Too many of his followers he sold the “America first”principle but he is really all about Donald first.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I was a little surprised to see a schism on the Democrats’ side before the GOP. I would have thought the differences between the Trump wing and the more traditional conservatives were greater than those between the various species of Democrat.
    Everyone in the Republican party is afraid of Trump or his supporters putting a right-wing challenger on the ballot during the next Republican primary instead of automatically letting the Republican incumbent win the primary.

Democrats aren't afraid of that happening in their primaries. The Democrats have always been a fractured, fractious political party and no single person or movement is strong enough for every Democrat to be afraid of them.

Or as Will Rogers famously said, "I'm not a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat."

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Everyone in the Republican party is afraid of Trump or his supporters putting a right-wing challenger on the ballot during the next Republican primary instead of automatically letting the Republican incumbent win the primary.

Democrats aren't afraid of that happening in their primaries. The Democrats have always been a fractured, fractious political party and no single person or movement is strong enough for every Democrat to be afraid of them.

Or as Will Rogers famously said, "I'm not a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat."
    There have been a few cases where the AOC wing threatened or attempted to ďprimaryĒ what they felt to be insufficiently left wing Democrats. And the more moderate Democrats in swing districts have voiced their displeasure at the police defunding, redistributive burden they are asked to carry.

And based on recent history, a Trump endorsement hasnít been uniformly decisive on the GOP side.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Will Andrew Yang attract any Never-Trumping Republicans? Should I check himout? I’m pretty desperate to get away from the Always-Tumpers.Maybe I romanticize a third-party, but I think it would be nice to have a strong third-party. I always thought Trump had potential to form that third party with the force of his personality, but he seems to have no principles on which to build. Too many of his followers he sold the “America first”principle but he is really all about Donald first.
    I actually agree with you here, IL. I would love to see a strong third-party - but DEFINITELY NOT the donald!

These conversations remind me of this quote from the West Wing:

Leo: Because I'm tired of it. Year after year after year after year having to chose between the lesser of who cares, of trying to get myself excited about a candidate who can speak in complete sentences, of setting the bar so low, I can hardly look at it.

But, being the somewhat optimistic person I am, I keep hoping.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information