Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the DEAL with no employees?

Went to my local oil change shop yesterday to have the oil changed in my truck. When I arrived there were three cars backed up outside each bay waiting their turn so I decided to leave and come back today in hopes they'd be less busy. Went back today and they were closed with a note on each door stating they were only open every other day due to staff shortages. Apparently they no longer have enough staff to keep each location open so they're moving staff from one location to another each day.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The governor in my state has National Guard troops driving school buses because there is a driver shortage. When schools were shut down many drivers got jobs elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    The link works on my end! It's hyperlinked to "this one" in the sentence.

But here it is again: https://scoop.upworthy.com/business-...YMBbIZzVPO-PSI
    Ah, I missed the hyperlink in "this one." Thanks.

There could potentially be a lot going on.

sure some people dying or becoming disabled due to covid, or caretaking others that became disabled due to long covid.

Then people can't find daycare (the situation is supposedly worse than before the pandemic), so they might choose not to work.
    "Child care centers and preschools have shut down in droves, many of them permanently"
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ic/8245923002/

Some are probably still afraid to send kids to school as well, likely a minority at this point but.

Then car prices (new and especially used) reached record highs and for many jobs people NEED a car to get to work or do the work, so even that might have an effect on ability to get to a job and get a job.

Then with the supply chain being rather dysfunctional there might be a need for even more workers in certain industries.

Then consumer demand has probably shifted permanently somewhat during the pandemic. So some of the jobs that were there before the pandemic are not necessarily the same ones needed now. That's the type of frictional unemployment they say works itself out in time I guess.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

There are several people I know, who did not go back to work, after having a kid, during this. Some have multiple kids and realized they were working to pay day care, while others didn't even want to deal with child care. A local business owner came in, expecting us to provide him with some of our employees (older man, losing it). There is a chunk of people.
    Now, going the OTHER extreme.......

Before the pandemic, one owner hired a special needs person. This is a person, who as a child had cancer, has epilepsy, has suffered growth deficiencies (thought to be 12), and has had brain issues (just will come to a complete stop, and thinks they are actually having a conversation). The other owner, called them a car payment, without the benefit. The help, myself included, thought this is a bad idea, as no one is trained in case of medical issue (seizure), they require constant supervision. We run a tighter ship then most in our industry, however this pretty well leaves one person doing the work of three. The one owner has been trying to convince "us" the staff, that his brother, really liked having them working. I stated, if they are to come back then they need to be licensed and pass all the requirements of everyone else. (I am doing the work of the one owner as well as my old work)

There is SO much I am having to turn around. Heck, for years, we operated, WITHOUT a schedule (pain in the rear to not know day to day, who is working). Both bosses, operated, with what they call Crisis management. There was a LOT of piss poor practices, that leave me shaking my head.

This article is an interesting read on why so many work-eligible males are not in the workforce. I don't know why the article is focused on men, but it still is interesting--particularly interesting is the inverse correlation between participation in the labor force and the GDP.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-way...092147068.html
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Retail is scraping the bottom of the barrel to hire people. The other day I had a clerk scold me because I didn't have exact change. So much for thank you for your business.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    This article is an interesting read on why so many work-eligible males are not in the workforce. I don't know why the article is focused on men, but it still is interesting--particularly interesting is the inverse correlation between participation in the labor force and the GDP.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-way...092147068.html
    excellent article.

I also got to thinking the majority of deaths, at least at the beginning, were our eldest Americans. How many lived in homes that were long paid for, perhaps had life insurance, had a house and garage full of goods and good savings thanks to the stock market?
    getting proceeds from selling all of this could very well propel a simple liver into early retirement.
    i could not find a decent scrabble game so got one on eBay. When it came there was a note directing me to their website that listed pages of items from such a situation.
    Another group that might have been able to retire early were high wage earners working in places like San Francisco or NYC who were able to work remotely without the high rent, perhaps with their parents, eating out, transportation by going to a much lower COL area and boosting their net worth significantly. Plus the stock market for the small percentage that put in the max plus a match in a 401 the last 15 or 20 years greatly increasing their net worth.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Plus the stock market for the small percentage that put in the max plus a match in a 401 the last 15 or 20 years greatly increasing their net worth.
    Our net worth has increased by nearly 40% since I retired 3 years ago, but I suspect a correction is in the works.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Our net worth has increased by nearly 40% since I retired 3 years ago, but I suspect a correction is in the works.
    I could not agree more. But for most of us with zero debt it won’t be nearly as bad.

Thread Information