Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the DEAL with no employees?

What is the DEAL with no employees?

I’m not going to read about it. I’m gonna let you all tell me what is going on in our United States of America where the unemployment rate is very low apparently. No one can hire. Where are all the employees.

It is scary to think that even *I* could go out and get a job today.

When I retired in 2015 a couple cohorts my age suggested ways I could work part time and I said “oh my God who would hire me? *I* wouldn’t even hire me!. “ Well, those days are over and even I would hire me. And that is a scary thought.

We are seeing reduced hours in restaurants around here, and one long-term stalwart place closed because they could not get employees anymore.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Where are all the employees.
    Most are home. A few are working off the books.

People are also calling in more because what are you going to do? Fire me for poor attendance? You won't find anyone to replace me. We have one guy who since June when schedules were published we are all supposed to follow has yet to follow his a single week. He has blown through all his time off including days supposed to be for covid but he doesn't care if he doesn't get paid. He lets his GF support him.

And in my state more are also out due to new time off benefits - disability that pays out at a higher rate so it is more tempting to take, paid parental leave, paid leave to care for a sick family member, etc.

I read on Nextdoor that people aren’t letting their high school kids work because of the virus. Unemployment ended here a week ago.

Yppej
    I see lots of teens working in my area but some older people are retiring earlier than they planned to. This may be due to covid but also due to a strong stock market under Biden.

There are all kinds of signs in grocery stores, restaurants and bars asking for patience with regard to slow service because they are short-staffed. Just today, I was in Burlington's best food co-op market, and the buffet table had a sign apologizing if all the usual choices aren't there, and then they asked for people who liked to cook to please apply.

Fact is, people who make low wages in restaurants and food establishments are still getting stimulus unemployment. There is no incentive to trade in the same income they're getting for no work that they would for working grueling hours on their feet.

This should change once federal and State unemployment ends.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

A Dunkin Donuts here had to close temporarily due to no workers. It is kind of a mystery how so many people who aren't working are getting by financially.

I can shop at three grocery stores depending on where other errands take me and what groceries I need or want. Last few times all three have had help wanted signs out and the Whole Foods selves were in disarray and poor inventory, which is unusual for them. At one time the clerks at WF have told me that it was a good place to work with good benefits. And all of the fast food joints I've paid attention to have had help wanted signs. I've been told that a lot of young people are moving out of town or state because housing prices have gotten so high it's not possible to afford basic housing on a lot of entry level type professional jobs, not to mention the service industry.

Mostly just anecdotal stories. Probably some truth to it all, but certainly a disconnect of higher unemployment with jobs aplenty.

Here, several chain restaurants are drive through only. Hours on lots of places are reduced as well as restricted seating. Then, one of the area's largest suppliers, have been short handed, as well as their suppliers. Reduced inventory, substitutions (if they have them), delayed delivery (one restaurant I know is/was averaging two days after their delivery date), limiting stock and requiring pickup, to name a few things. Then they cut 30% of their customer base, with no notice (another restaurant I know, had turned in their weekly order, only to get it nullified 15 minutes later).
    I have been told it made national news, but I haven't seen the news. Sysco, cut the local schools from being supplied. The schools can't just go get 15K pounds of chicken for district wide, but they are I have been told, shopping at those warehouse stores, as well as a local supplier, that is being swarmed with new customers.

That doesn't even cover the kid situation. Kids that don't care about driving (do so much with their phones), so much more other activities, etc. etc. etc.

Where I live, hiring is now very very difficult for any low->medium paid jobs, because there is now basically no housing available at a price people in that earning range can afford.

The Pandemic caused many of the homes that were available for rental to come off the market, for several reasons. And purchase prices for homes is beyond unaffordable.

Thread Information