Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I am not moving to New .England but…

I lived in upstate New York for 2 years and it was beautiful. Worse winters than Wisconsin though.

I have such a strong sense of place at this point I'll never leave New England willingly. I've never moved from the NE for jobs or school. I've tinkered with the idea of moving to a different state or region, but I know I never will, and frankly I'm kind of surprised at myself. I consider myself slightly more adventurous than that. But New England is home--I even felt a little homesick for New England when I lived in New Jersey! So I'm glad I'm back.

Our first winter spent up here on the lake last year tells me that I not only can survive the winters, there's something about the wildness of it that I love. I'm not worried about getting older and having to navigate ice and snow yet. I have my snowshoes.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It's horrible but not even a year here and I am loving it back to empty again, with the summer folks gone. So yeah, don't come here, you don't need incredibly beautiful clear air and nice people and antique housing stock and reasonable property taxes and endless miles of trees and glassy ponds that reflect the sky perfectly--seriously!

Out of the 5 states I have lived in where I lived in both Kansas and Texas was ugly. I know there’s pretty parts of both states. The others were pretty. I hate small town and rural living. Also not a fan of real winter anymore.

The last real one I experienced was my mom’s last Xmas in 2008 and it alternated between. -30 wind chill, warming up enough to snow, cold again, warmer so created ice and then snow on top so you couldn’t see the ice, rinse and repeat for 2 weeks. I don’t own boots and only use my winter coat and snowshoes for when I go to Tahoe. In the property tax department I am also very spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It's horrible but not even a year here and I am loving it back to empty again, with the summer folks gone. So yeah, don't come here, you don't need incredibly beautiful clear air and nice people and antique housing stock and reasonable property taxes and endless miles of trees and glassy ponds that reflect the sky perfectly--seriously!
    I remember when I was "interviewing" the sellers of our house here, and I asked her "What's the best part of living here" and she said, "When everyone leaves for the winter." I thought that was so funny! But now I get it.

Our next door neighbors weren't here for three of the four years we've been up here now (hard to believe!!). There were all kinds of stories about them--they only liked to stir up trouble--they were dictatorial and unfriendly, make sure you don't park your car on one blade of their grass!! This might be the ONE DAY they come here and you'll be in trouble!!

Well, these legendary meanies all of a sudden appeared last fall. DH and I were really bummed--were we going to have NEIGHBORS that winter?? And what kind of neighbors?? Fears about them had been instilled deeply.

They are our good friends now. I don't know where all that talk came from. We are about the same age, we share stuff, we sit around and talk. They are very, very good neighbors. They ask before they trim then part of the trees that are hanging over their lawn, they are coaching DH on how to grow (legal) marijuana plants, and overall, we get along great.

Moral of the story: Don't believe everything you hear about people--even if a bunch of people are saying the same thing.

Now, knowing we're friendly with them, the neighbors who bashed them are saying, "Don't trust them. They'll stir up trouble."

We'll see.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I just think it's so cool that you are there year round now! Well done. I am going to get some straw bales to put around our house this year before the cold weather hits, and then have it to garden in the spring.

IL, check out this one if you wanted Hollis Center:

https://www.redfin.com/ME/Hollis/18-.../home/97651641

Love the street name.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    IL, check out this one if you wanted Hollis Center:

https://www.redfin.com/ME/Hollis/18-.../home/97651641

Love the street name.
    Cute house. The 1997 renovation was unfortunate. I wonder what flooring is under all that lino

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I have such a strong sense of place at this point I'll never leave New England willingly. I've never moved from the NE for jobs or school. I've tinkered with the idea of moving to a different state or region, but I know I never will, and frankly I'm kind of surprised at myself. I consider myself slightly more adventurous than that. But New England is home--I even felt a little homesick for New England when I lived in New Jersey! So I'm glad I'm back.

Our first winter spent up here on the lake last year tells me that I not only can survive the winters, there's something about the wildness of it that I love. I'm not worried about getting older and having to navigate ice and snow yet. I have my snowshoes.
    I have that sense of place with the Great Lakes region. I grew up and went to college in Michigan. Then moved in 1996 to IL.

Thread Information