Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were trying to get by without an oven

If you were trying to get by without an oven

If you were trying to get by without an oven (both the oven and the stovetop didn't work) what appliances (could be several) would you use to replace it? Instapot? Microwave? Crock pot? Adopt a totally raw diet (jk ). Assume you do have a working refrigerator.

(My oven is working. This is not my personal problem, but it is now a practical problem for people I know, and I swear I've encountered this problem before when moving into a new place when it took forever to get gas turned on.)
    Trees don't grow on money

I got a Breville Smart Oven, basically a nice toaster oven, a few years ago, about one week before my Viking oven decided to perish. I haven't bothered to fix the Viking yet, the toaster oven does a great job.

I bought an air fryer/toaster oven, that I use quite a bit. Certainly a microwave oven. A grill/bbq, which some of them have a hotplate. (may or may not need one inside)

Combination microwave/convection oven. I had one in NJ and we used it all the time. For stove top, hot plates can go from being $10 dollar store roach motel variety or they can be much nicer, like this top-of-the-line:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...IaAo7TEALw_wcB
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We bought a Breville smart oven not too long ago. Our range is slowly dying. Our toaster did. We decided to try the Breville as an in between idea. If it worked? We’d buy a stove top and built in oven when we rehab the kitchen.

it successfully replaced the toaster. It cooks faster on some things than my big oven. I haven’t used the big oven for some time and don’t really miss it.

it was pricey, but I’m not sorry.

I have roasted a chicken, made toast, baked cornbread, dried herbs, etc. all in one appliance.
    Last edited by NewGig; 9-14-21 at 8:22am. Reason: Typo

Coincidentally, my oven is overheating and circling the drain.

I love my Instant Pot (so versatile!), and should break out my Cuisinart TOA-60 convection oven. The stove top still works, but if it didn't, I'd probably invest in an induction burner or two. The Breville gets great reviews, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I got a Breville Smart Oven, basically a nice toaster oven, a few years ago, about one week before my Viking oven decided to perish. I haven't bothered to fix the Viking yet, the toaster oven does a great job.
    How old is that Viking? Those things are expensive so I would expect in the last 20-30 years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    How old is that Viking? Those things are expensive so I would expect in the last 20-30 years at least.
    It is 20 years old now. And has been dead for 3 years+. It is poorly designed - circuit boards and relays have died frequently and expensively since Year One. I am pretty sure a relay replacement would get it back in service, but I am now unmotivated. If you use the self clean function on it, it kills the main circuit board every time. It was expensive and I will never buy another Viking product.

A friend has a small portable counter top induction plate that he uses instead of a hot plate or stove top. It's small and lightweight, energy efficient, and doesn't heat up the kitchen as much. Plus, it's pretty neat. Might be just the thing for a tiny home.

Some friends without an oven or stovetop managed to got by very nicely for some years with an electric frypan. It was square, had a lid and the temperature was adjustable. It was easy to clean, didn't take much storage space and was very versatile. This was some years ago before instant pots or air fryers.

Thread Information