Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: resetting jewelry?

resetting jewelry?

Has anyone reset jewelery? My mom years ago gave me a gold setting with a 1 ct cz (she bought it for the setting and then went through a cz phase) and now I have bought a loose white sapphire online that is the same size and should fit.

It's a simple Tiffany style setting, so it should be pretty and be something I can leave for a daughter-in-law or granddaughter.

But I have never gone to a jeweler for something like this. Anyone done this, who can give me pointers? If it goes well, I am going to reset at least two more things.

Here is picture of the white sapphire:

That’s a pretty stone!

I would ask friends for any recommendations. I would stay away from chain jewelry stores and look into independent locally owned jewelers.

Have not had a stone set into an existing setting.

edited to add: oh wait…decades ago wI had a tiny diamond from a great aunt’s necklace set into a single earring for DH.I have no recollection how much that was. I agree with Tradd always go to the local independent jewelers (if you can find them any more) because then you’ll be able to talk to the guy in the back room who does the actual setting. The chains will mail it off to whomever to do the work.

I have done that with a local jeweler so my stone never leaves the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have done that with a local jeweler so my stone never leaves the store.
    That's what I want, too. I have a much more valuable old stone that I want to change the setting on, and I thought they could warm up with this one, where the stakes are not very high.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Have not had a stone set into an existing setting.

edited to add: oh wait…decades ago wI had a tiny diamond from a great aunt’s necklace set into a single earring for DH.I have no recollection how much that was. I agree with Tradd always go to the local independent jewelers (if you can find them any more) because then you’ll be able to talk to the guy in the back room who does the actual setting. The chains will mail it off to whomever to do the work.
    Good point, Tradd and IL about avoiding chains...

I have left diamond rings with a local jeweler jeweler and it never crossed my mind to worry that they were going to steal the stone and replace it with something different. My diamonds are not that big or spectacular. They handle stuff like mine every day.

I will say that I’m not much of a jewelry person and it was only in the most recent decade that I had my engagement ring tightened up and reset, and same for my family heirloom ring. I don’t have rings that need regular “maintenance “such as white gold which apparently needs polishing and replating sometimes? I mean I have one of those as an enhancer but I don’t have it re-dipped.

I have mostly no-maintenance yellow gold jewelry. I have one platinum ring that I had polished one time and the polish went away after a few months and I thought oh why bother doing that again, so I dont.

About leaving stones with a jeweler, the real danger I suppose for me was that Mr. Robinson’s jewelry store Would be burglarized and stuff stolen. He was hit a few times in recent years and the last time he came out of the back room with his gun pointing out at the badnick lads. The lads went running off. Yay for Mr. Robinson!

Wow. I want Mr. Robinson to reset my stones.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    About leaving stones with a jeweler, the real danger I suppose for me was that Mr. Robinson’s jewelry store Would be burglarized and stuff stolen. He was hit a few times in recent years and the last time he came out of the back room with his gun pointing out at the badnick lads. The lads went running off. Yay for Mr. Robinson!
    That happened to me. The earrings my DH gave me for our engagement were stolen by a drug dealer from Patterson NJ. I had left them to be cleaned and they never put them in the safe, and the jewelry store was burglarized. Ironically, I'm like IL and not a jewelry person to begin with plus I'm really bad at taking care of jewelry. This was the first time I ever took something to the jewelers for cleaning.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information