Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ad promoting IL abortion rights to attract businesses

Ad promoting IL abortion rights to attract businesses

I usually avoid abortion discussions like the plague, but this is really f’ed up. A Chicago business group ran an ad in a TX newspaper touting all these reasons why TX businesses should move to IL. Why this one is over the top? They were touting IL’s protection of reproductive rights. That’s right, folks, move your business to TX because IL will let your employees kill their unborn babies. This is just a very odd ad.

I’m not getting into the abortion debate. I’m only posting about the ad itself.

IL/Chicago comes up with some really screwed up stuff, but this one just has me scratching my head. 0A796194-8319-4D4A-A1BA-BF80FE3BFE2A.jpg

Well, creative i guess. Blech.

We've reached a point in society where a fetus in utero is considered to be something along the lines of Schrodinger's cat. At any point of it's residency it may be a live human worthy of protection or it may be some sort of tumor requiring expungement, it all depends upon the mother's belief and/or desire. Since it seems those with the latter point of view seem to be increasing, it's only natural for a business to exploit that delusion.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    That’s right, folks, move your business [to IL from TX] because IL will let your employees kill their unborn babies.
    That isn't what it says at all! Not even close to it.

Texas recently passed a law that intentionally restricts/suppresses voting by minorities and in heavily Democratic areas. Texas also recently passed a clearly unconstitutional law that bans all abortions including in cases of rape or incest unless the woman realizes she's pregnant and gets the abortion within six weeks of conception. And the Texas governor has repeatedly issued executive orders that fly in the face of any reasonable covid precautions, the latest being his executive order that no school or government building can require employees or visitors to wear a mask (and yet one of his current executive orders says any business that wants to can require employees or customers to wear a mask.)

IL is just pointing to the most recent newsworthy breaches of voting rights, personal freedom, and public health policy in Texas and saying "We still respect your rights and believe in science."

ETA: Bill Clinton said abortion should be "safe, legal, and rare." That's good enough for me and that settles it, except that I would add "Decisions about abortion and other medical proceedures should be made by the patient and doctor, not some government bureaucrat!"
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 9-15-21 at 2:44pm. Reason: Corrected misattributed quote

Alan, I see the same thing on the other end of life, where people's comments about "qualify of life" for their elderly parents extend into euthanasia. And the argument is based a lot of the time on how much bother it is to care for the person, and why should their life be "prolonged", when "prolonging life" seems to include things like feeding people and getting them help with medical diagnosis.

Right now my mother's guardian thinks it is perfectly okay for her to fall and hit her head and black out, and the to refuse to take her to the ER for tests. "What would be the point?" she said.

I'm so angry right now.

To Tybee’s point, I see care of the elderly at the end of life as living in the hands of those who are responsible for them and yes those decisions will change from family to family, from caregiver to caregiver, from institution to institution.

Our society right now sets standards of medical care and if those are highly exceeded in one case and just barely met in another case, that seems reasonable to me.

I always equate these things to veterinary practices and pet care. Some pets get extraordinarily good care, thoughtful care, whole animal considered care. Some get little to no care at all. Some get extensively crazy care that in my opinion, causes pain for months and years beyond what they should have to endure. The latter happens because the owner can’t let them go and has to expend thousands of dollars they don’t have. Yes I see this in the world I’m in, i know someone has gone bankrupt twice and extensive pet care has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    ETA: Ronald Regan said abortion should be "safe, legal, and rare."
    I believe that was Bill Clinton. I also believe Ronald Reagan would be appalled by your characterization of his beliefs since I vividly recall his often stated belief that abortion should only be used as a form of self defense, in other words if pregnancy should pose a risk of death or grievous harm to the mother. In that case I think he believed that abortion (in self defense) should not be a legal right but rather a non-prosecutable action, in much the same way all other uses of lethal force in self defense or defense of another are considered.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I believe that was Bill Clinton.

It was indeed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...5a8_story.html

Yppej
    Maybe this will balance all the restaurants moving from blue states like New York to Florida so they can operate without government shutdowns.

There are many reasons to flee Texas; draconian abortion restrictions are just one.
    I don't see anything wrong with states recruiting new residents--in fact it seems to me they do so regularly.

Thread Information