Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College student destroys flag tribute to 9/11 victims

College student destroys flag tribute to 9/11 victims

A Washington university college student here in St. Louis, a member of the student senate, picked up hundreds or thousands of the 3000 flags placed on the college’s campus as a tribute to 9/11 victims.

He seems like a spoiled brat, a twit. But this really isn’t even very interesting as an act of protest. I thought Wash U students are supposed to be a cut above generic college students around here but this doesn’t signify that.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...flags-n1279128

What is he protesting? Death? Grief?
    Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    What is he protesting? Death? Grief?
    Idiot.
    Imperialism. We are to think about WHY 3,000 persons died in 9/11 attack. Attacks on Muslim Americans increased after 9/11. He wants us to think on all of that.

His own protest installation was interrupted before he was able to set it up. He was going to use some of the flags in some sort of display of his own making.

Yes, he is stupid. If you want to protest someone else's memorial or political display, you should do it by creating a protest display of your own. If you protest their display by damaging their display, you just get in trouble and look stupid, and most of the time your protest message will be lost in the uproar of people complaining about what you did.

Yppej
    I went to a September 11th memorial service on Saturday where for two hours the names of all those who died were read, and while listening I did think that they died due to blowback about our foreign policy. That they were victims of something they did not originate or control is more not less reason to honor them.

The same is true of our troops killed in the Vietnam War.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Imperialism. We are to think about WHY 3,000 persons died in 9/11 attack. Attacks on Muslim Americans increased after 9/11. He wants us to think on all
    I can still remember twenty years ago hearing from the classicist Mary Beard saying we had it coming. I still read her books, but for some reason I can’t tolerate her on video.

As silly displays go, this one ranks up with AOC’s Met Gala gown. At least this woke warrior kid didn’t get his tickets comped.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I can still remember twenty years ago hearing from the classicist Mary Beard saying we had it coming. I still read her books, but for some reason I can’t tolerate her on video.

As silly displays go, this one ranks up with AOC’s Met Gala gown. At least this woke warrior kid didn’t get his tickets comped.
    He’s probably on a full ride scholarship. Better than Met tickets.

AOC’s dress was stupid, but the themse was “America” so she captured an ongoing political theme in America at least. The Met Gala frocks were mainly awful this year.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Imperialism. We are to think about WHY 3,000 persons died in 9/11 attack. Attacks on Muslim Americans increased after 9/11. He wants us to think on all of that.

His own protest installation was interrupted before he was able to set it up. He was going to use some of the flags in some sort of display of his own making.
    I appreciate the sentiment, but not the execution. He badly misread the room.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I appreciate the sentiment, but not the execution. He badly misread the room.
    Yes, my point exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If you would like to explore why you may not be able to "tolerate her on video," I highly recommend this essay by Mary Beard.

Thread Information