Thread: Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana or braunii)

Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana or braunii)

Does anyone have experience growing lucky bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana or braunii)? I recently acquired three stalks that are growing in water in a clear plastic tube about 4 inches tall and 1.5 inch diameter. The tallest stalk is about 19 inches tall. It's current home is in the shadow next to a southfacing window where it gets bright indirect light all day but no direct sun, and because it's container is small I change it's water once a week, or sooner if the water level gets near the top of the roots.

The best sounding information I've found on how to take care of this thing is https://www.almanac.com/how-grow-lucky-bamboo. But I'd love to get some advice/opinions from SLF members.

Lucky Bamboo 21-08-30.jpg

It is lovely! One of my kids gave me some as a holiday gift. It lasted about 2 years. So essentially - I wouldn't be any help. Good luck with it! I enjoyed mine while I had it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    It is lovely! One of my kids gave me some as a holiday gift. It lasted about 2 years. So essentially - I wouldn't be any help. Good luck with it! I enjoyed mine while I had it.
    Maybe this book would be if interest to you:
    "Plants you can't kill : 101 easy-to-grow species for beginning gardeners" https://www.amazon.com/Plants-Cant-K.../dp/1510709630

My favorite "can't kill" plant is oxalis, aka prayer plant because the leaves fold up when there's too much or too little light and reopen when conditions are better. It comes in green and purple varieties and I've grown it inside and out. The interesting thing about this plant is if you under water it or over water it or it gets too much direct sun, it will "die", but it's really just the stems and foliage that dies, the root is still alive and when you correct whatever you're doing wrong, it will spring back to life, and if it is really happy it will send up flower stalks with small white flowers.

Thanks for the book recommendation. My favorite "can't kill" plant has been my aloe plant. I can't even remember how old this thing is!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thanks for the book recommendation. My favorite "can't kill" plant has been my aloe plant. I can't even remember how old this thing is!
    My "Whatzit Flowers" (actually Canna Lilies) have been another "can't kill" for me. I have killed some of them by putting them in a location they didn't like, but in general my use of them has been to put one or two in a place where I'd like them to be and they either live long and reproduce in proportion to how happy they are, or they die and I mark that a space they don't like.

Thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    I have some flowers in my yard that I like, but the person who gave me the bulbs (rhizomes?) 10 years ago doesn't know what they're called.

My "Whatzit Flowers" (actually Canna Lilies) have been another "can't kill" for me. I have killed some of them by putting them in a location they didn't like, but in general my use of them has been to put one or two in a place where I'd like them to be and they either live long and reproduce in proportion to how happy they are, or they die and I mark that as a space they don't like. (Sorry IL and other gardeners. I love plants, but I'm just not dedicated enough to coddle plants that need a lot of TLC. )

Click blue arrow next to my name to read that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    I have some flowers in my yard that I like, but the person who gave me the bulbs (rhizomes?) 10 years ago doesn't know what they're called.

Thread Information