Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dying with dignity

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Atul Gawande <<----( I love this author! )
    And this is as good a place as any to put in a plug for The Checklist Manifesto.

Review: http://atulgawande.com/book/the-checklist-manifesto/

"Atul Gawande has made a name for himself as a writer of exquisitely crafted meditations on the problems and challenges of modern medicine. His latest book, The Checklist Manifesto, begins on familiar ground, with his experiences as a surgeon. But before long it becomes clear that he is really interested in a problem that afflicts virtually every aspect of the modern world–and that is how professionals deal with the increasing complexity of their responsibilities."

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    And this is as good a place as any to put in a plug for The Checklist Manifesto.

Review: http://atulgawande.com/book/the-checklist-manifesto/

"Atul Gawande has made a name for himself as a writer of exquisitely crafted meditations on the problems and challenges of modern medicine. His latest book, The Checklist Manifesto, begins on familiar ground, with his experiences as a surgeon. But before long it becomes clear that he is really interested in a problem that afflicts virtually every aspect of the modern world–and that is how professionals deal with the increasing complexity of their responsibilities."

Yes, good book. Can't say I read the whole thing, but it's required reading for my Optimize program, which provides summaries, via pdf, video, mp3s of tons of great books.

Reminds me of a recent article I read about Matt Amodio, the emerging Jeopardy champion, who annoys people by framing his questions as "What's...." intead of "What is" or "Who is". He is in AI at Yale and he said that he does that because not having to think about specific ways of framing questions when answering clears your mind for more productive tasks, like thinking of the answer.

A checklist is like that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Some states have dying with dignity laws. It enables people who are on hospice or with certain diagnosis to work with their treating physicians. They prescribe medication which enables the patient to choose when to end their lives. These are generally people with end stage cancer or typed of diagnoses for there is no known cure. You have to live in the state. The physicians who participate do so voluntarily.
    There are some people trying to expand the legislation to their own states, including mine.
    So I’ve informally asked some people what they thought. Two said they are Christian and no matter what the suffering for the patient or family they oppose any such law permitting it. An ICU nurse and a friend who volunteers in hospice both emphatically say yes.
    If you live in a state where it is legal, have you any experience with it? I am heavily leaning towards yes because you don’t have to do it and if you do choose to, it is between you and you god in whatever form you believe. Plus no physician is required to take part.
    This began in the Netherlands, from where we immigrated. Dad always thought it was wrong......until he was dying of lung cancer. About 6w prior to his death he said (to me when we were alone) "maybe that's not such a bad idea".

There is an extensive work-up process. The "tools" are provided. The patient has absolute control as they MUST administer the cocktails and meds to themselves-many people wait too long and then have regrets. I suppose others have family who will administer and just not say so.

I believe Oregon was the first state to legislate this.

RN in full support. I know people have moved to OR for this very reason.

I would support this, after watching my dad die of lung cancer last year. When it got to the point where he needed morphine for his pain, he asked my sister to give him the entire bottle and be done with it. He was in hospice care, and the hospice nurse had the medications shipped to us to manage pain/discomfort/disorientation. She didn't (because its illegal) and we got to watch my dad suffer to the end and not be able to breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I would support this, after watching my dad die of lung cancer last year. When it got to the point where he needed morphine for his pain, he asked my sister to give him the entire bottle and be done with it. He was in hospice care, and the hospice nurse had the medications shipped to us to manage pain/discomfort/disorientation. She didn't (because its illegal) and we got to watch my dad suffer to the end and not be able to breathe.
    I'm so sorry Herb.

I've seen a lot of people die in my career. Dad's 4 month progression to death from lung cancer was the worst! And he stated to me he knew it was going to feel like he was slowly drowning without relief. (An accurate description of blebs slowly filling up).

Thank you Gardnr. It was awful to witness.

I think death by lung cancer is a pretty awful way to go.

Knowing what we all know, did you all consider moving the patient to a “death with dignity” state?

According to this article there are ten.

https://deathwithdignity.org/learn/d...-dignity-acts/

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think death by lung cancer is a pretty awful way to go.

Knowing what we all know, did you all consider moving the patient to a “death with dignity” state?

According to this article there are ten.

https://deathwithdignity.org/learn/d...-dignity-acts/
    Did you read up on the process?

It is neither quick nor easy. Dad only lived 4 months.

Thread Information