Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much exercise is enough? How much is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Yea riding a bike would be a way to shorten my probable lifespan ... when I get crushed by a car. Since I'm often in a car navigating bikes around me, I'm perfectly aware it's very hard for motorists to navigate bikes (I have not hit any and it would be horrible too, but more I'm on high alert because I realize how extremely dangerous the whole thing is, sometimes they barely have any lights at night etc.). Then imagine being on one ...
    The people you're talking about are idiots, and in regards to experienced adult bicyclists, you are totally wrong.

Part of why you are wrong is probably because experienced adult bicyclists act like a vehicle instead of a toy and it freaks out car drivers when they have to change lanes to pass a bicycle like they would if it was a motorcycle, or when a bicycle makes a left turn by moving over into the left turn lane as a proper vehicle should. So if you encounter a bicycle with no lights at night or other stupid childish behavior, please remember that intelligent grownups ride a bicycle like it's a vehicle and the people you're complaining about are ignorant childish fools.

I only ride bikes on trails. Way too dangerous on city streets.

I used to bike regularly when I lived in nyc. But I was young and brave (stupid?) then. Somehow the only accidents I had were 1) minor, and 2) my fault. Like the time I was looking behind me to see if I could pass a taxi and then bonked the rear bumper of it because there wasn’t room to stop or pass. I managed to reach out and stop myself from flying up onto the trunk and damaged my rear wheel when it slammed back down to the ground. The driver either didn’t notice or didn’t care. As soon as the light changed he just left. His passengers all turned around to look, hands covering their mouths in shock. I walked my bike to the subway and went home before going to the bike shop down the street to get a new wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I used to bike regularly when I lived in nyc. But I was young and brave (stupid?) then. Somehow the only accidents I had were 1) minor, and 2) my fault. Like the time I was looking behind me to see if I could pass a taxi and then bonked the rear bumper of it because there wasn’t room to stop or pass. I managed to reach out and stop myself from flying up onto the trunk and damaged my rear wheel when it slammed back down to the ground. The driver either didn’t notice or didn’t care. As soon as the light changed he just left. His passengers all turned around to look, hands covering their mouths in shock. I walked my bike to the subway and went home before going to the bike shop down the street to get a new wheel.
    Wow... typical NYC story with the taxi driver just taking off on the green light! What a great story--I'm assuming you weren't hurt badly? Did anyone stop and help you up?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Wow... typical NYC story with the taxi driver just taking off on the green light! What a great story--I'm assuming you weren't hurt badly? Did anyone stop and help you up?
    I wasn’t hurt at all. And other than my rear wheel my bike was also fine.

One of my friends died while bike riding on the street and was hit by a postal delivery truck. The truck was going the opposite direction and swerved across lanes to hit the bike head on. There were some claims of defective steering on the truck and I'm not sure how the long drawn out legal matters ended up. Father of three. I quit biking for a few years after that and am now very selective about where I ride and also have a few rules. Always wear a helmet, always use flashing rear and front lights in any sort of traffic, with few exceptions the car always has the right of way regardless of the law, wear highly visible colors, and no riding in the dark or twilight.

On my bike trail routine, pedal assist e-bikes bikes are becoming more popular. They are heavy and capable of going about twice as fast as the typical recreation rider not to mention the dog walkers and joggers. I predict they will cause accidents and legal issues, if they haven't already. It is easy to see how certain styles of bike riding give cyclists a bad name.

Thread Information