Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If your parents named you after a personal hero, what would your first name be?

If your parents named you after a personal hero, what would your first name be?

I was thinking about this because my GD2 was named after the little girl who was the first to integrate her New Orleans school (don't want to say the name for privacy reasons, but you can figure it out.). My son and DIL got engaged in New Orleans, and they are both interested in social issues. I think it's a really cute name, and I'm proud that she was named after this person.

My name is OK--named after the tortured heroine in Wuthering Heights. If I were to change my name to be the same of as a hero of mine, I might choose Anne (Frank) or Eleanor (Roosevelt), or Henriette (after Thoreau) or Florence (after my greataunt). I know there are other possibilities but I can't think of them at the moment.

What would your new name be?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Vashti.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Vashti.
    Cool. Why?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Cool. Why?
    I see her as an early feminist. She refused to be objectified and dance at a drunken party thrown by the king for his buddies even though it cost her the throne. She was traded in for a beauty contestant who supposedly saved her people but in my opinion was just as much acting to save her own neck. I always thought Vashti was the real heroine in the book of Esther.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My name is OK--named after the tortured heroine in Wuthering Heights.
    Oh that's great. Who looks at their cute little baby girl and names her after a tortured heroine? Ideally baby names are supposed to reflect what you hope the baby will become. (Just saying)

I was actually named after my mother's uncle who died very young during the invasion of France that started on D-Day. As it happens, his name was one of the 4 most popular boy names in America from 1924 till 1953. But I could have done a lot worse namewise than having a very common name. If I was born in the late 1960s I might have been named Rainbow Sunshine Parker

As for what I would name myself, it seems like half of my heroes have fairly common generic boy names and the other half are girls. So I don't know what I would call myself. Maybe Inu Yasha? Inu means dog in Japanese and Yasha refers to a spirit:
    "The yaksha (rendered yasha in Japanese) were an ancient class of usually-benevolent spirits from Indian myth, who presided over subterranean treasures and were worshiped as tutelary deities. ... In some parts of Japan, deities classed as yasha found their way into sectarian worship and folk religion"

IOW Inu Yasha means Dog Deity or Spirit Dog. And if you don't recognize the name, here's a hint: It has something to do with a short skirt and time travel.

ETA: Some of my favorite hero names are George, Sam, Bill (or Billy, but not William), Robert (or Bob) but like I said, those are all very common boy names. So if I wanted to be distinctive I would probably choose Thoreau as my heroic name, even though that was actuality his family name.
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 9-16-21 at 9:39pm. Reason: added an ETA

My parent's couldn't have named me after my personal hero since he was a fictional character which hadn't yet been created, not showing up in print until 2003 in Neal Stephenson's epic series The Baroque Cycle. The character's name is Jack Shaftoe and he led quite the adventurous life in the late 17th and early 18th century Europe. In a review of the books in The Guardian, Jack was described as "magnificent, a swashbuckling hero with a foul mouth and few morals". That sounds at least a little like me.

Since I couldn't be named for someone not created till 50 years after my birth, I've had to simply think of myself as one of his sobriquets l'emmerdeur, or 'he who f--ks shit up' . (Not a literal translation but close enough and referenced as such in the books)
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Whose personal hero and from what era our lives. In my influential years during the space race I was into model rocketry and my hero was Warner Von Braun. I still have a Warner autographed 8X10 black and white in my files. I'm glad not to be named Warner since his popularity ain't what it used to be. Anymore my heroes are ordinary people from every day life rather than public figures, so it would be Orville and I'd have to live with it.

I always admired Vercingetorix, but that wouldn’t have been very practical.

Maybe Scarlett? "I'll think about it tomorrow" was a family motto.

Davida/David

Warrior, Head-of-State, Psalmist.

p

Thread Information