Thread: Happy Constitution Day

Happy Constitution Day

May it continue frustrating demagogues, utopians and wannabe autocrats for many centuries to come.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    May it continue frustrating demagogues, utopians and wannabe autocrats for many centuries to come.
    I would love it if people actually understood the constitution and why it's such a revolutionary, groundbreaking document. I think if people understood that it's purpose is not to grant rights or privileges but rather to codify that basic rights are self-evident and limit government's ability to take them away, it would change our entire political landscape.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I would love it if people actually understood the constitution and why it's such a revolutionary, groundbreaking document. I think if people understood that it's purpose is not to grant rights or privileges but rather to codify that basic rights are self-evident and limit government's ability to take them away, it would change our entire political landscape.
    My kid refers to that sort of process as “adulting”.

So, I am not cutting and pasting this. This is embedded in my memory, thanks to my grammar school nuns:

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare and secure the blessings of Liberty for ourselves and our posterity; do ordain and establish this Constitution of the United States of America."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information