Thread: Canada National Election

Canada National Election

Can you imagine a national campaign lasting only 35 days? It seems so quaint.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Can you imagine a national campaign lasting only 35 days? It seems so quaint.
    It's not a regular election, it's a snap election called by the prime minister in hopes of his party winning some Parliament seats currently held by other parties so he'll have a stronger hand advancing his political agenda. IOW the election time doesn't need to be very long because he's just asking for a vote of "no confidence" against the other parties.

I would think that opening up every seat in the House of Commons, selecting challengers and getting the various party’s message across would be an effort equivalent to a regular election. Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I would think that opening up every seat in the House of Commons, selecting challengers and getting the various party’s message across would be an effort equivalent to a regular election. Or am I missing something?
    If you're asking whether I think Canadian politics are weird, yes I do. To answer your question, it seems likely every political party has a "favorite son" they would automatically put on the ballot in each district. Other potential candidates would have to fend for themself if they wanted the party to endorse them in addition to the favorite son.

As to the general rules of Canadian elections, all I know for sure is what I read on the internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_electoral_system

Thread Information