Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Flu shots?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,942

    Flu shots?

    Went to get my flu shot today at Safeway today. But there was a line of people and it was going to be an hour wait. The pharmacist said come back Sunday morning, that Friday is the busiest time. Chatting with my sister-in-law, a nurse, she thinks I might be a bit early because it only lasts six months and flu isnít happening in CA yet. I want one because Iíll be traveling to a conference for work in two weeks. SIL also suggested that I could get a booster flu shot in the spring if I wanted. I have no idea if Iíll be traveling in the spring but a spring booster could be an option if I will and flu is spreading in CA at the time.

    Iím leaning towards getting one Sunday but curious what other people are doing.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Tradd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Suburban Midwest
    Posts
    6,473
    Probably within the next couple of weeks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Iím leaning towards getting one Sunday but curious what other people are doing.
    If your SIL is right about it only being good for 6 months, you may be risking getting the flu at the tail end of flu season when relatively few people still have flu, but by that time you probably will have been exposed to flu several times and IMO your immune system fighting it off should have extended how long your immunity will last. Contrarywise, if you delay getting a flu shot, you risk being exposed to the flu before you get the shot (while you still have zero immunity!) As a calculated risk, I'd rather be a little early instead of a little late.

    I got mine yesterday. Our local newscast says get it now, and certainly no later than the end of October. (Sorry, an ad plays before this video )

    https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/d...-shot/2739068/

  4. #4
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,687
    Could have got it for free at work but passed. Last year the governor tried to force everyone in school - daycare through college - to get one in order to attend in person. In protest I will not get a shot as long as he is in office.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Could have got it for free at work but passed. Last year the governor tried to force everyone in school - daycare through college - to get one in order to attend in person. In protest I will not get a shot as long as he is in office.
    That's some wonderful logic you've got there. The governor wanted everyone to get vaccinated so they wouldn't get sick, and you don't want the governor to tell you what to do, so in revenge you're going to refuse to be vaccinated against flu until they leave office, even though you may get sick with flu because of it.

    That makes just as much sense as telling someone "I don't like you so I'm going to hit myself in the face." Especially since the governor doesn't know or care about your meaningless little symbolic protest.

    My rule of thumb is very simple: If boycotting something or protesting something is going to hurt me more than it hurts the thing I'm protesting/boycotting, I don't do it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,687
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    That's some wonderful logic you've got there. The governor wanted everyone to get vaccinated so they wouldn't get sick, and you don't want the governor to tell you what to do, so in revenge you're going to refuse to be vaccinated against flu until they leave office, even though you may get sick with flu because of it.

    That makes just as much sense as telling someone "I don't like you so I'm going to hit myself in the face." Especially since the governor doesn't know or care about your meaningless little symbolic protest.

    My rule of thumb is very simple: If boycotting something or protesting something is going to hurt me more than it hurts the thing I'm protesting/boycotting, I don't do it.
    It hurts him because he wants to brag about flu vaccination rates.

    The one year I got the flu shot I got sick anyways. I am not worried.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It hurts him because he wants to brag about flu vaccination rates. The one year I got the flu shot I got sick anyways. I am not worried.
    That's fine with me. You be you and I'll be me. But I really don't think your one refusal to be vaccinated is having any effect on the flu vaccination rate in a state with XX million people.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yppej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,687
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    That's fine with me. You be you and I'll be me. But I really don't think your one refusal to be vaccinated is having any effect on the flu vaccination rate in a state with XX million people.
    That's like saying someone's vote doesn't count.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,641
    Got ours and mom's last week at our local grocery pharmacy. They do online signups so people are not lined up.

    Of course we were among the first to sign up and the assistant at the pharmacy tried to turn us away since "they dont give flu shots until October". Thankfully, before I had a chance to blow up at her, the pharmacist corrected her and got the process going.

  10. #10
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Could have got it for free at work but passed. Last year the governor tried to force everyone in school - daycare through college - to get one in order to attend in person. In protest I will not get a shot as long as he is in office.
    By that logic why did you get covid shots?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •