Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flu shots?

Flu shots?

Went to get my flu shot today at Safeway today. But there was a line of people and it was going to be an hour wait. The pharmacist said come back Sunday morning, that Friday is the busiest time. Chatting with my sister-in-law, a nurse, she thinks I might be a bit early because it only lasts six months and flu isn稚 happening in CA yet. I want one because I値l be traveling to a conference for work in two weeks. SIL also suggested that I could get a booster flu shot in the spring if I wanted. I have no idea if I値l be traveling in the spring but a spring booster could be an option if I will and flu is spreading in CA at the time.

I知 leaning towards getting one Sunday but curious what other people are doing.

Probably within the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I知 leaning towards getting one Sunday but curious what other people are doing.
    If your SIL is right about it only being good for 6 months, you may be risking getting the flu at the tail end of flu season when relatively few people still have flu, but by that time you probably will have been exposed to flu several times and IMO your immune system fighting it off should have extended how long your immunity will last. Contrarywise, if you delay getting a flu shot, you risk being exposed to the flu before you get the shot (while you still have zero immunity!) As a calculated risk, I'd rather be a little early instead of a little late.

I got mine yesterday. Our local newscast says get it now, and certainly no later than the end of October. (Sorry, an ad plays before this video )

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/d...-shot/2739068/

Yppej
    Could have got it for free at work but passed. Last year the governor tried to force everyone in school - daycare through college - to get one in order to attend in person. In protest I will not get a shot as long as he is in office.

Got ours and mom's last week at our local grocery pharmacy. They do online signups so people are not lined up.

Of course we were among the first to sign up and the assistant at the pharmacy tried to turn us away since "they dont give flu shots until October". Thankfully, before I had a chance to blow up at her, the pharmacist corrected her and got the process going.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Could have got it for free at work but passed. Last year the governor tried to force everyone in school - daycare through college - to get one in order to attend in person. In protest I will not get a shot as long as he is in office.
    By that logic why did you get covid shots?

I talked to my doctor sister and decided to wait until the second half of October to get mine. I’m high risk, so I try to stay distanced and always wear a mask in indoor public spaces…as required by our government. I haven’t had a flu shot in two years…ever since we moved, and before Covid.

I have mine administered at work as part of our regular requirements, so I get it whenever our medical director sets things up

I'll probably go with my usual practice of getting one when I go for my annual wellness visit in early November.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    By that logic why did you get covid shots?
    No covid vaccine mandate when I got my shots, first in April, second in May.

Thread Information