Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flu shots?

Will probably get it the next time I go to New Hampshire, since they do not require a prescription, and we go there once a week.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    We got ours. If a Moderna booster is approved for us this is out of the way. I fear with all the the decrease of in person contact colds could make many of us miserable coming up.

I usually get the flu vaccine later in the fall, since the flu in our area usually shows up in Jan/Feb, and, indeed, the vaccine does wear off so you don't want to get it too early. However, we have seen some positive flu already, so I went ahead and got the high-dose vaccine last week. I will probably get a booster (another vaccine) around Christmas. This is not my usual practice, and there is no scientific rationale for this. However, this is not a usual year. Just my 2 cents.

I just got mine. My doctor told me that it should be efficacious through any Jan. or Feb outbreaks. Though I'm slightly skeptical of that I did want it out of the way before any Moderna booster and any early outbreaks. I've heard different opinions, but my doctor said a spacing of two weeks between vaccinations should be fine, FWIW.

I get the flu about every ten years. This was my year late August. Recovered quickly, but it was a doozy as far as fever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Could have got it for free at work but passed. Last year the governor tried to force everyone in school - daycare through college - to get one in order to attend in person. In protest I will not get a shot as long as he is in office.
    That's some wonderful logic you've got there. The governor wanted everyone to get vaccinated so they wouldn't get sick, and you don't want the governor to tell you what to do, so in revenge you're going to refuse to be vaccinated against flu until they leave office, even though you may get sick with flu because of it.

That makes just as much sense as telling someone "I don't like you so I'm going to hit myself in the face." Especially since the governor doesn't know or care about your meaningless little symbolic protest.

My rule of thumb is very simple: If boycotting something or protesting something is going to hurt me more than it hurts the thing I'm protesting/boycotting, I don't do it.

I also get the flu once every 10 years so don’t bother with that vaccine.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    That's some wonderful logic you've got there. The governor wanted everyone to get vaccinated so they wouldn't get sick, and you don't want the governor to tell you what to do, so in revenge you're going to refuse to be vaccinated against flu until they leave office, even though you may get sick with flu because of it.

That makes just as much sense as telling someone "I don't like you so I'm going to hit myself in the face." Especially since the governor doesn't know or care about your meaningless little symbolic protest.

My rule of thumb is very simple: If boycotting something or protesting something is going to hurt me more than it hurts the thing I'm protesting/boycotting, I don't do it.
    It hurts him because he wants to brag about flu vaccination rates.

The one year I got the flu shot I got sick anyways. I am not worried.

I've never had a flu shot, and I may have had the flu in '94--or maybe that was just a bad cold. I tend to think the latter.
    It's not like I'm out in crowds pressing the flesh, so I'll reconsider when and if that happens.

I got the flu shot once, when I started this job, because all I ever heard when starting was how sickness kept going around the office again and again "all last year" and everyone kept being sick one after another. Ok I had heard enough, noone had to tell me to get the flu shot at that point ... And then covid started
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information