Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flu shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You've mentioned this several times recently and I must admit I'm a little confused by what you mean. I know that Republicans in Georgia and Texas have made efforts to tighten some issues of their prospective state's voting rules, some of it to repeal some of the rather lax voter initiatives instituted to accommodate covid requirements in 2020. But what I'm really interested in is an explanation of how those two states voter requirements differ from some of the blue or purple states such as New York or Delaware or New Jersey or Colorado or Rhode Island or Minnesota or Wisconsin. In other words, do Georgians or Texans have less opportunity or time for early voting or do they have harsher rules of absentee voting or do they require more stringent ID requirements for in person or absentee voting? Just what is it about those states voting requirements that qualify as "suppression" when compared to other states? Since you keep mentioning Republican voter suppression efforts I'm thinking maybe you know.
    Short answer: Yes.
    Long answer: "All I know is what I read in the Newspapers" (Will Rodgers)
    Addendum: Next up is the Texas legislature, which is mostly Republican, redrawing all the Texas voting districts to reflect the 2020 census. Guess which party the new district shapes will heavily favor.

Now let's go back to arguing about vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Short answer: Yes.
    Long answer: "All I know is what I read in the Newspapers" (Will Rodgers)
    Addendum: Next up is the Texas legislature, which is mostly Republican, redrawing all the Texas voting districts to reflect the 2020 census. Guess which party the new district shapes will heavily favor.

Now let's go back to arguing about vaccines.
    Ok, I'll ask again in a more appropriate thread the next time you bring it up. I'm genuinely curious to know what people mean when they mention Republican voter suppression or if they actually have no idea but read it in a headline somewhere.

As for vaccines, I don't argue that subject since I'm in favor of both flu and covid vaccines but recognize there may be others with valid concerns with either.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    As for vaccines, I don't argue that subject since I'm in favor of both flu and covid vaccines but recognize there may be others with valid concerns with either.
    Well at least that's one thing we agree on.

My admittedly semi-informed opinion is that flu shots are rarely as effective as most other vaccines--that they're mainly a product of an educated guess as to which strains will emerge in any given year. They might be good for health care professionals who are around sick people all the time.

Lots of flu going around - had a co-worker who was out from work 2 weeks, first his kids getting sick, then he and his wife. I rarely (knock on wood), have to miss work due to illness. But now that I have officially reached "senior status", I am getting my flu shot on Tuesday. The local schools have had lots of kids out with illness and I work with their parents who are also getting sick!

The flu shot is great. But we all need to practice good hygiene since the "common" cold is still going around. I got it and it was 5 days in and around the bed (101 temp at the worst) with 3 weeks to get over the deep cough. There is a reason the Japanese wore a lot of masks before Covid.

DH & I got our flu shots about 2 weeks ago. The combination of vaccines, hand hygiene and masks in public seems to have spared us from colds, flus and bugs for the past 3 years.

Okay---Seems like last year I got a Flu AND a Pneumonia shot. Pneu is one that takes a lot of elderly people down for good! Or bad. But yeah---you kids might not need one, at your age. Thing is, I've got to wait for a day just prior to inclement weather, so I can use it for a recovery day. They give me a Vaccination hangover, so I need more rest. Yup. Hope that helps you some.

Thread Information