Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cosmetic surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Interesting that both examples you give are of minors, whereas I got these unwanted comments well into my thirties.
    The "hansom" phrase is used almost exclusively on non-adult males because once boys hit 18-20 what we hear all the time is "Smile so the customers will think you enjoy working here" or "Smile so the customers will think you're friendly -- that way they'll relax and be easier to sell stuff to" or "Smile so people will think you're friendly. No one wants to make friends with a stranger who looks like they're mad" or "You need to smile more, dude. It's a chick magnet" or "Smile because it makes you look more powerful and self confident."

If you think about it, all of those phrases are to some extent conveying the idea that smiling makes you look more attractive so you can acquire customers, friends, females, gullible muppets, or whatever and manipulate them for your own benefit.

In essence "You'd be prettier if you smiled more" is exactly the same advice: "Make the package more attractive so people will want to be your friend and buy what whatever product, idea, philosophy, or thing you're selling."

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Why do women always have to look friendly and men don't?
    All boys and men in customer-facing sales or service occupations or occupations that involve persuasion in some other way do have to always look friendly and helpful. And so does any guy who wants to attract nice girls or good friends. Pat Boone said so! https://www.amazon.com/Twixt-Twelve-.../dp/0139349928

51HsTPa-pbL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I worked with a girl from Ukraine once who explained to me that they rarely smile at strangers as it is considered disingenuous and rude - especially showing teeth.

I usually walk around with a smile on my face, mainly because I am usually happy and it makes me feel better to physically smile. (There must be a study out there somewhere - endorphins, etc. LOL) I've also been known to audibly chuckle for no apparent reason to anyone else - usually when I've thought of something that makes me laugh.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I usually walk around with a smile on my face, mainly because I am usually happy and it makes me feel better to physically smile. (There must be a study out there somewhere - endorphins, etc. LOL) I've also been known to audibly chuckle for no apparent reason to anyone else - usually when I've thought of something that makes me laugh.
    I haven’t read studies, but I will bet that a laugh or two a day releases some sort of healing properties in our bodies.

The book "The As If Principle: The Radically New Approach to Changing Your Life" by Richard Wiseman https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...s-if-principle is based on the writings of the victorian philosopher William James. James figured out by observation that almost everything we do is decided by the subconscious mind based on information it receives from our body and our five senses. Our conscious mind isn't notified about how we feel, what emotion we're having, or what we're doing until a fraction of a second after our subconscious makes it's automatic decision. So even though we think we make conscious decisions, most of the time our conscious mind is just "deciding" to do what the subconscious has already set in motion.

The point is, if our body is acting like we're happy or sad or angry (all of which are automatic reactions triggered by our "lizard brain" https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...r-lizard-brain ) then our subconscious receives the message that we're having that emotion and informs our conscious brain.

Sometimes we consciously decide we don't want the emotion our body is feeling, or at least we don't want to openly display that emotion, so we consciously give the order to look friendly or suppress tears or calm down and relax our muscles.

You'll appreciate this video, happystuff, because you are a devotee of Buddhism. Thich Nhat Hanh frequently talks about the benefit of smiling.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    You'll appreciate this video, happystuff, because you are a devotee of Buddhism. Thich Nhat Hanh frequently talks about the benefit of smiling.

Wonderful, catherine! Thank you for sharing this. And, yes, it made me smile!!! LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information