Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading Glasses

Reading Glasses

For years I have bought my reading glasses at Dollar Tree but they are getting flimsier. The last time I was there one pair broke on the way out to my car and I went right back in and exchanged it. One week three pairs broke, and since it's at least a pair a week.

Where do you get yours? I am looking for cheap and durable. Appearance is less important. I push them up on top of my head, then back down on my face when wearing them, so they should be sturdy. I've heard Ocean State Job Lots advertising them for $3 but haven't tried theirs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    For years I have bought my reading glasses at Dollar Tree but they are getting flimsier. The last time I was there one pair broke on the way out to my car and I went right back in and exchanged it. One week three pairs broke, and since it's at least a pair a week.

Where do you get yours? I am looking for cheap and durable. Appearance is less important. I push them up on top of my head, then back down on my face when wearing them, so they should be sturdy. I've heard Ocean State Job Lots advertising them for $3 but haven't tried theirs yet.
    I use the ones at the Goodwill, or order a five pack from Amazon for about 15.

I've had to wear glasses my whole life, for astigmatism, and then of course over the past decades I've worn progressive lenses for both the astigmatism and farsightedness. Last time I went to the optometrist, my astigmatism is gone. My eyesight is almost perfect as far as distance is concerned.

So now I'm thinking about just ditching the expensive progressives and just wearing reading glasses, but I hate the idea of having to reach for reading glasses every time I look at something close up. DH uses dollar store reading glasses, and they're cheap and scratch easily, and I don't like the idea of glasses you have to dispose of often. So, I guess I could buy a more expensive, higher quality pair and just make sure they're always handy--by wearing one of those chains, which I also hate.

I'll probably stick with my progressives.

But I can vouch for Ocean State Job Lot glasses--DH got some there the last time we were in NJ, and they were pretty sturdy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If you want to go expensive the ICU brand is fantastic--you can get them at Whole Foods. But they are an occasional treat,but then they might last a lot longer.

Thank you both for replying. There is an OSJL in my area so I will try that first.

I wear progressives myself. DH used to buy his reading glasses at OSJL, but they didn't last. Apparently he is harder on them than your DH, Catherine. He's been buying them at Costco for the past few years and has had better luck with those. They still don't last a really long time, but he leaves them all over the place, lens down, etc.

I have about 3 or 4 pairs in different places. One strength for reading, weaker ones for my computer. Almost all came from the Dollar Store and I just picked up a pair a week ago. These seem NQR, like I have to have them sitting on my face just so in order for them to be focused. The arms seem a bit tight as well, so I don't expect them to last long. I'll probably buy another $1 pair because they tend to get tossed around, sat on, buried or misplaced and losing the $1 is nothing.

My first pair was about $12 from Target and they didn't look cheap at all but they aren't strong enough anymore. Marshall's/TJ Maxx sometimes have multipacks for not too much money.

Last time I went to an optometrist (CostCo)--years ago, I'm sorry to say--he remarked that my astigmatism must drive me nuts. That made me laugh, because I only wear glasses to drive, which amounted at that time to an hour or two a week. MY eyesight is not the best, but I still rarely wear glasses. And my astigmatism is a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    I have about 3 or 4 pairs in different places. One strength for reading, weaker ones for my computer. Almost all came from the Dollar Store and I just picked up a pair a week ago. These seem NQR, like I have to have them sitting on my face just so in order for them to be focused. The arms seem a bit tight as well, so I don't expect them to last long. I'll probably buy another $1 pair because they tend to get tossed around, sat on, buried or misplaced and losing the $1 is nothing.

My first pair was about $12 from Target and they didn't look cheap at all but they aren't strong enough anymore. Marshall's/TJ Maxx sometimes have multipacks for not too much money.
    I have a similar strategy. Buy quantities of cheap pairs and scatter them around so there’s always one close to hand.

I just had cataract surgery and long distance is 20/20 without the pesky astigmatism that I had corrected. I hate reading glasses. So I have ordered a prescription pair with clear at the top, computer distance for the middle and specialized magnification at the bottom for the exact distance I like my books and other work. I do not mind wearing them all the time (have for 60 years).

Thread Information