As someone who has been tipped labor for many years, I find this topic fascinating. While I was new to the biz, it was exciting to realize I could survive insane working conditions and leave with money in my pocket. This can become addictive - the constant adrenaline and the leaving work with money in your pocket. Now that I am out of the business and in something more stable, I am amazed that I survived the concept of being tipped and having little clue how much money I would make on a given shift - seriously, having this uncertainty lifted by a decent hourly wage in a more stable business has greatly improved the quality of my life.

Now the few times I do go out I overtip - I do this because I believe in karma and because I understand that not everyone is going to have the same good fortune in getting out of the business that I have had. I can't begin to see myself working waiting tables again - it would have to be that or live on the streets, I am that over the industry. But I still tip very well - usually 1/3 or in some cases 1/2. Like i said, I don't go out to eat very often. But I will still tip and tip well, even though I don't care for the business model. What's your take on tipping and why? Rob

PS Came back to add that SO has found work after a long search - doing guess what? Yep. Waiting tables - I hear horror stories of the business on a regular basis. SO is trying to break out of the business also but has not had the good fortune i have had. Not yet, anyway. Rob