Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should prostitution be legal?

I think I mentioned here some years ago that I was a member of SWOP-Seattle (Sex Workers Outreach Project) and SEPIA (Society of Erotic Professionals in Action). I have testified in front of city and state legislatures on sexworker rights, do outreach work with marginalized sexworkers, and, as a dumpy middle aged male, work in the field myself providing useful services to clients. I think I also mentioned prepandemic that I was likely going to pivot into sex therapy work, but the pandemic has derailed some of my plans.

So, yes, I think sexwork should be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    If it were on a ballot I would vote against it based purely on moral principles and a sign of social devolution, but under the premise of my "body my choice" I could picture a strong argument in favor of legalization.
    Interesting. I always had a hard time understanding why/how unpaid sex between two consenting adults was any different than paid-for sex between two consenting adults except for the money aspect. (NOT talking about underage sex/sex with a minor! Totally different topic!) I think it is clear that having a piece of paper saying you can have sex with ONLY the other person named on that paper, doesn't work in reality. If it did, there would be way, WAY less of a lot of other "social/moral" problems like the horrid "premarital sex". Seriously, how many people actually refrain from ALL SEX until AFTER they are legally married?????

Sex is happening anyway - I say legalize prostitution.

ETA: And this is not even bringing in the topic of masturbation - which many consider "sex". So... masturbation before marriage - immoral? Brings a whole other level to the discussion. Hmmm... do we really want to go there?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

If it were on a ballot I would vote against it based purely on moral principles and a sign of social devolution, but under the premise of my "body my choice" I could picture a strong argument in favor of legalization.
    Illegal prostitution brings abuse from pimps, the legal system, and johns to often desperate women with no ability to fight back. It's probably the least "Christian" approach one could choose.

In the big scheme of things it hardly seems like a big issue either way to me, but if I had a daughter interested in becoming a legalized sex worker, I would not encourage it as a legitimate profession.

In the big scheme of things it hardly seems like a big issue either way to me, but if I had a daughter interested in becoming a legalized sex worker, I would not encourage it as a legitimate profession.
    Being a parent, I understand what you are saying here - for daughter or son.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I wouldn’t encourage my kid to do anything professionally that relies entirely on the bloom of youth. That bloom goes away pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    ETA: And this is not even bringing in the topic of masturbation - which many consider "sex". So... masturbation before marriage - immoral? Brings a whole other level to the discussion. Hmmm... do we really want to go there?
    Some people consider masturbation after marriage equally immoral because you're not using sex in the way God intended it to be used -- as a bonding process that strengthens the relationship between a man and a woman.

From my point of view, masturbation isn't immoral either before marriage or while married, it's just a convenient way for men and women to satisfy a totally normal desire when a suitable partner isn't readily available at that particular moment (spouse is at work, out of town overnight, etc)
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 9-20-21 at 12:10am. Reason: because I can

work in the field myself providing useful services to clients.
    None of my business but I'll ask: is there a big market for dumpy middle aged men? How does your primary relationship feel about you sharing your body with others?

Yppej
    I would decriminalize for consenting adults and stiffen the penalties for child trafficking and trafficking in adults (such as illegal immigrants forced into the trade because of their precarious legal status).

Prostitution is also legal in Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    None of my business but I'll ask: is there a big market for dumpy middle aged men? How does your primary relationship feel about you sharing your body with others?
    I sincerely hope that wasn't what Bae meant.

Thread Information