Thread: Compost site

Compost site

Went to the composts site tonight where there were bushes of tomatoes filled with ripe and almost ripe tomatoes! People just pull the plants out and throw the fruit away! Wasteful!!! Last year got all kinds of pepper that I froze. They were wonderful too! Other years covered green tomatoes in newspaper and put in basement. Had fresh tomatoes into November!

Here in the lower Midwest we usually have tomatoes until December.

I have pulled little hot red peppers off of other peoples composted plants at the end of the season, but I can’t say I actually did anything with those peppers. I was so enchanted with the idea that they were free but then what do I do with them? I like hot foods but I preferred to stepsister and some premade sambol oolek

I roasted hot peppers last year and then froze them. Worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I roasted hot peppers last year and then froze them. Worked well.
    I just got mine in the freezer for a long long time, probably years. And then I threw them away.

I had a CSA last year for the first time. I froze a variety of greens since there was WAY TOO MUCH to use fresh. I threw most of that away. I will not do a CSA again for that reason. I am better going to the farmer's market or grocery and getting just what we will use. I am not a gardener so enjoy getting the fresh tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I had a CSA last year for the first time. I froze a variety of greens since there was WAY TOO MUCH to use fresh. I threw most of that away. I will not do a CSA again for that reason. I am better going to the farmer's market or grocery and getting just what we will use. I am not a gardener so enjoy getting the fresh tomatoes.
    I have debated CSA for years(I am the only vegetarian in my home), son and family get two family size CSA’s each year as they all are vegetarians. He reminds me each year when an item is in season you get a lot of it eggplant included! Tomatoes over the top. I signed up to be on the list for 2022, but after reading your post it reminded my I will go to farmer’s market instead, thank you!

Thread Information