Thread: Hard Neck Garlic - "We want to be alone."

Hard Neck Garlic - "We want to be alone."

I harvested about 15 bulbs of garlic for the kitchen, after setting aside the 7 biggest bulbs for planting on Columbus Day.
    I attach a picture of the garlic waiting to be used in the kitchen. They are on a shelf with a platter that my late father-in-law bought in Mexico.
    000_0570 (2).jpg

Nice! And very pretty platter!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Congrats!

I must plant some this fall so am looking for good bulbs. Nice photo!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I must plant some this fall so am looking for good bulbs.
    My crop is Zemo variety. I also have had excellent results in the past with Music variety in my northern garden.

Love your garlic Dado!

I’ve told the story several times, but years ago DH planted garlic, and I sat down to clean it. It was so fresh and pungent, it burnt my fingers. Plus his heads were tiny and so it was a burden, so I told him don’t plant more, I want to buy it.

My friend grows elephant garlic in our community garden, and yes those are huge, but it’s also too mild.

I have dug a raised bed for the German Red (smaller cloves, not much to look at) which I bought at a farmers' market this past summer, and the Zemo garlic I grew in a ground-level bed. The soil is dug 12" deep, and I added an abundance of compost plus a little aged cow manure.

Each year on Columbus Day I plant garlic. Coincidentally, the banks and post offices will be closed, so I like to believe they collectively will be holding their breath, hoping that my 3 inches of mulch will enable my garlic to establish viable root networks over winter. <wink>

I took a picture of the ready-to-plant cloves of the 2 varieties. I put a $20 bill amongst them to clarify the relative sizes.
    000_0579 (2).jpg

Dado: I somehow missed the photo you posted at the beginning of the thread in August, but the garlic and the plate made quite a lovely still life!

I just got done cleaning several heads of garlic, peeling off the paper coverings and making the cloves ready to use.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I just got done cleaning several heads of garlic, peeling off the paper coverings and making the cloves ready to use.
    I have a dozen heads of garlic awaiting a similar fate sometime soon. Into the freezer they will go. Should carry us all winter.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information