Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Appetizers for small group meeting

Appetizers for small group meeting

Do you have any tried and true popular recipe ideas for appetizers? Only six people so want something simple and tasty (no meat).

To all of our neighborhood patio parties this summer we took sliced tomatoes from our garden with fresh mozzarella cheese on top, sprinkles of fresh basil leaves, and dressed with balsamic vinegar reduction.

I also often take sausage rolls, but you said “no meat “so never mind that.

Tomatoes are not finger food, they need a fork to eat them.

Fruit skewers? Brie and crackers of various types is always a massive favorite of mine.

How fancy? If you're going for fancy, check out Pepperidge Farm for their puff pastry recipes. I like a palmier made with boursin cheese. Super easy (spread, roll up and slice/bake).

For friends/easy/casual: nice cheese plate, hummus and pita, cheese spreads and crackers, homemade crackers.

I vote for hummus and pita and crudité. With maybe some little cookies for people who have a sweet tooth.

Also, little tea sandwiches cut in quarters with arugula and cucumber.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've been to parties where they served tiny grape tomatoes, mozzarella pearls and small basil leaves threaded on a toothpick. This is similar to what IL mentioned, but in finger food form. I love these and it's so easy that even I can make it!

This is an old stand by for me. Mix cream cheese, diced mild green chilis, and diced black olives together. Spread onto a flour tortilla in a thin layer and roll the tortilla up. Refrigerate and when cool slice cross ways into half inch thick discs. Routinely a crowd pleaser and no cooking involved. Fancy toothpicks inserted through the diameter of the disc and various cheese mix/tortilla layers make an upscale presentation

Not really an appetizer, but my mother's standard pot luck dish was stuff she called "Orange Goop". It's very easy to make and it was popular at every pot luck and family gathering she went to. Basically it's just cottage cheese, cool whip, and orange jello powder (dry Jello powder straight out of the box). She got the recipe out of Redbook or some similar women's magazine and made it for various occasions for at least 15 years.

When I googled "recipe cottage cheese jello" (without the quotes) I got scads of hits showing variations of this same recipe, so it's obviously still popular. The way the woman in this video makes is very similar to the way my mother always made it:

Thanks all...I don't know why but I always get stressed out about bringing food to events. Also, my group has several vegetarians, one vegan and two diabetics so trying to please everyone is tricky.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I love the roll up ideas. I often make sliced veggies, like carrots celery and cucumber and add a dip. Anyone avoiding sugar, fat or dairy can at least have something.

Thread Information