Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Appetizers for small group meeting

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    Not really an appetizer, but my mother's standard pot luck dish was stuff she called "Orange Goop". It's very easy to make and it was popular at every pot luck and family gathering she went to. Basically it's just cottage cheese, cool whip, and orange jello powder (dry Jello powder straight out of the box). She got the recipe out of Redbook or some similar women's magazine and made it for various occasions for at least 15 years.

When I googled "recipe cottage cheese jello" (without the quotes) I got scads of hits showing variations of this same recipe, so it's obviously still popular. The way the woman in this video makes is very similar to the way my mother always made it:

with all due respect to your mom, this is awful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Thanks all...I don't know why but I always get stressed out about bringing food to events. Also, my group has several vegetarians, one vegan and two diabetics so trying to please everyone is tricky.
    If it is a shared food event (I dont host) I don’t worry about the extreme diets like vegan. They are on their own.In fact, in a shared food environment, I don’t worry about anyone’s special diet.

That’s a different responsibility if I am the host and providing all food.

DH (who spent a lifetime in the food biz) tells me that the tortilla roll-ups are called high-rollers.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    with all due respect to your mom, this is awful stuff.
    Everybody has different tastes, but the fact that the bowl always ended up empty when my mother took it somewhere, and the fact there are numerous variations of this recipe still being circulated 70 years after my mother first saw it in some magazine, has to be reasonable proof that a lot of people disagree with you.

Personally I liked a lot of other food she made more than I liked Orange Goop, but Orange Goop was her quickest and simplest potluck food.

BTW: The first three things she taught me how to cook were: Meatloaf, beef stew, and baked potatoes. She told me "With those three things and knowing how to cook veggies in a pot of simmering water, a boy will always be well fed."

Fixing any other kind of food was either "fun" or "fancy" for most teenage boys in the 1960s. And one of the fancy things she taught me how to make was egg salad with olive slices in it. In my early 20s I evolved that into egg salad mixed with tuna salad with leftover peas, beans, or whatever in it. My mother was bemused but not surprised by that, since it was a logical extension of me always mixing veggies and mashed potatoes together on my plate. (good times, those were.)
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 9-21-21 at 1:35pm. Reason: typo

Stuffed mushrooms or jalapenos.

Jalapenos are stuffed with panko, butter, and monterey jack (could do vegan alternatives as needed). Mushrooms are stuffed with bread crumbs, butter, minced mushroom stems, and beau monde seasoning (Mostly celery salt. Beau Monde is made by Spice Islands. I've had a really hard time finding it for about the past 5 years).

The mushroom recipe was my Dad's. The jalapeno version is mine.

If I have vegan or vegetarians coming to dinner I make my homemade spaghetti sauce and take their sauce out before I add meat. I have a friend that gluten makes him sick so rice noodles for him. It’s the only meal where I can accommodate everyone easily. For snacks I get crackers and cheese with fake cheese for vegans and you can get crackers for every diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    If I have vegan or vegetarians coming to dinner I make my homemade spaghetti sauce and take their sauce out before I add meat. I have a friend that gluten makes him sick so rice noodles for him. It’s the only meal where I can accommodate everyone easily. For snacks I get crackers and cheese with fake cheese for vegans and you can get crackers for every diet.
    No offense to people who choose to eat it, but imho fake cheese made from vegetable oil is an abomination, and so is fake meat made from textured soy protein and every other highly processed "food" that is pretending to be something it isn't.

I'm fine with using buckwheat or beans or something else as a meat substitute when you make burgers or meatloaf-type dishes, because those are real foods prepared in the way you would normally cook them. What I'm against is the factory manufactured fakes designed in a chemistry lab. They are repugnant not only because their creation process makes them less healthy than real food, but also because of the hypocrisy of "I would never harm an animal just so I could eat it, but I refuse to deprive myself of the pleasure of feeling like I'm eating animals and other non-vegan foods"

BTW: I'm not vegan, and I'm only slightly vegetarian. So please don't mistakenly think my opinion is a veggie-partisan rant.

I've gotten used to the idea that people may not be able to eat whatever I usually make.

My dad, when I was young, had a heart attack and couldn't eat salt. So no shell fish, cheddar cheese, etc. etc. That was right after I started to cook, so I got to adjust to his new diet... My BFF has food allergies. My SIL can go into shock and die if she eats something she's allergic to.

My BFF can't eat corn, wheat, or tomatoes, amongst other things.... My SIL can't eat some wheats and can eat others. I haven't tried to cook for these folks in years. But I can't eat "modern" red tomatoes without having my stomach get upset, either. Because of this, I automatically mentioned substitutions above.

George, DH and I agree with you! I've never bought, nor am I likely to buy, "impossible meat" anything. If I can't have a hamburger, I'll make a bean burger, or something else. Or just do without.

Also, my group has several vegetarians, one vegan and two diabetics so trying to please everyone is tricky.
    ok now that sounds impossible, at a certain point I'd just make salad: here's a salad: tada!

I do happen to make good salad. But then even the salad might have cheese or something. And no utensils either, ugh.
    Trees don't grow on money

No offense to people who choose to eat it, but imho fake cheese made from vegetable oil is an abomination, and so is fake meat made from textured soy protein and every other highly processed "food" that is pretending to be something it isn't.

I'm fine with using buckwheat or beans or something else as a meat substitute when you make burgers or meatloaf-type dishes, because those are real foods prepared in the way you would normally cook them. What I'm against is the factory manufactured fakes designed in a chemistry lab. They are repugnant not only because their creation process makes them less healthy than real food, but also because of the hypocrisy of "I would never harm an animal just so I could eat it, but I refuse to deprive myself of the pleasure of feeling like I'm eating animals and other non-vegan foods"
    I don't think committed long term vegetarians are the target market but some might be. And frankly though an omnivore I'm not the target market either, the type of people that going to a fast food place is anathema, are probably not the target market. And arguments: it's no more unhealthy than a regular burger at McDonalds/Burger King/In-and-Out just fly right over one's head. Uh my diet isn't perfect, but it's been decades since I've gone to a fast food place in the first place, so unless it was that or go Donner Party . AS for vegan cheese, I have eaten things like cashew cheese and cream though, pretty good actually. But of course I usually eat real cheese.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information