Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How did all those Haitians get to the southern border?

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I think borders are controlled (talk of not controlling them has little impact on actual policy), as we don't allow everyone who would want to come here too so that indicates some degree of control. But in the loose way they have always been in the U.S. in order to allow a lot of undocumented low wage labor in a country built on a great deal of low wage labor all around. It's a "look the other way" thing. However, I don't think population growth is good.
    Population growth, on a global scale, is inevitable for now--but my take on it is that a little growth, or at least maintaining the population, is a sign of national health. I believe if it weren't for immigration, we'd be losing population, because large families are a thing of the past.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 9-25-21 at 4:52pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    What? Taxpaying members of society with years ahead of them have more value than old fogeys? You argued the opposite regarding covid - that everyone should wear masks forever because a predominantly elderly group of people might get sick or die of covid, vs getting sick and dying of the flu or something else.
    How exactly is people dying the same as people staying in another country?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    How exactly is people dying the same as people staying in another country?
    With one issue you privilege the old over the young. With the other you denigrate the old as "fogeys" and favor the young. Are you ageist or not?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    ahhh, “just spitballing ideas here” well then, carry on.

There appears to be no shortage of “ideas” so…
    What can I say? This is a discussion board. People are expressing concern about these people who want to come to this country. As part of that discussion I attempted to point out that it might not actually be a bad thing. Instead of being refuted with facts about why immigrants are in fact bad for the country I get the suggestion that if I love immigrants so much I should invite them all to come live with me.

What can I say? This is a discussion board. People are expressing concern about these people who want to come to this country. As part of that discussion I attempted to point out that it might not actually be a bad thing. Instead of being refuted with facts about why immigrants are in fact bad for the country I get the suggestion that if I love immigrants so much I should invite them all to come live with me.
    not what I said.

1. I iterated “immigrants are good”.

2. I suggest you help ONE immigrant in your targeted area of concern. I will admit that inviting them into your home to live is a bit much, but truly, there are settlement services you COULD help in some way beyond the public trough we all contribute to.

Instead of being refuted with facts about why immigrants are in fact bad for the country I get the suggestion that if I love immigrants so much I should invite them all to come live with me.
    I’ve heard that same “argument” against the pro-life position.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    there are settlement services you COULD help in some way beyond the public trough we all contribute to.
    That’s a fantastic idea. Thank you!

Years ago I didn’t know what to get SO for Christmas (he buys everything he wants as soon as the idea pops in his head). So I decided to stop buying any gifts and instead came up with a list of ten charities that I felt did good work and donated the money to them instead. And got the added benefit that my employer (both my previous one and now my current one) match charitable contributions. And I share the list with anyone who might be inclined to buy me a Christmas gift and ask that instead they pick one of my charities that they also care about and send them a gift instead Ten was a nice round number but there’s no reason it couldn’t be eleven.

That’s a fantastic idea. Thank you!

Years ago I didn’t know what to get SO for Christmas (he buys everything he wants as soon as the idea pops in his head). So I decided to stop buying any gifts and instead came up with a list of ten charities that I felt did good work and donated the money to them instead. And got the added benefit that my employer (both my previous one and now my current one) match charitable contributions. And I share the list with anyone who might be inclined to buy me a Christmas gift and ask that instead they pick one of my charities that they also care about and send them a gift instead Ten was a nice round number but there’s no reason it couldn’t be eleven.
    Yes, that is a good idea. We have The International Institute here, close to where I live. I dont know who in recent past they have been helping, but I know they have geared up for Afghan refugees beginning last month. They sponsor the best outdoor festival in St.Louis each year with food booths of many world cuisines and dancers.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I’ve been reading thousands have been released into the US effectively cutting the line in front of refugees in camps and people who are going through the legal process outside the country. I can also see this as encouragement for more to do so. And going to areas where the virus is already overwhelming hospitals who are using crisis care standards to prioritize who to treat. A totally grim situation
    Has anyone been to the Rio Grand border? We spent several weeks there one year in our RV. There are numerous cross over points or miles and miles across nothing but ranch and public lands. Close to impossible to build a wall as it would cut off river access for the cows where people have lived for many generations. Which is why we have border patrol using horses.
    the way this is going I can’t see a way forward for the Democrats to hold any power going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I’ve been reading thousands have been released into the US effectively cutting the line in front of refugees in camps and people who are going through the legal process outside the country. I can also see this as encouragement for more to do so. And going to areas where the virus is already overwhelming hospitals who are using crisis care standards to prioritize who to treat. A totally grim situation
    Has anyone been to the Rio Grand border? We spent several weeks there one year in our RV. There are numerous cross over points or miles and miles across nothing but ranch and public lands. Close to impossible to build a wall as it would cut off river access for the cows where people have lived for many generations. Which is why we have border patrol using horses.
    the way this is going I can’t see a way forward for the Democrats to hold any power going forward.
    Democrats will prevail, never fear.

Thread Information