Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: How did all those Haitians get to the southern border?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Democrats will prevail, never fear.
    I think at this point, it’s about even odds on that. I think the plan was to keep the public focus on Trump as an “existential threat to our democracy” and label Covid as a sort of red state disease. But other things keep turning up that draw attention to issues the party would prefer to keep out of the public consciousness.

After relentlessly demonizing cops for the last few years, the larger, traditionally Democratic cities are seeing a dearth of police and a superabundance of crime.

The increasingly authoritarian posturing about Covid is not playing well in some of their key constituencies.

The bungled pullout from Afghanistan, and subsequent bungled attempts to spin it into a brilliant victory has even traditionally friendly media outlets criticizing the administration.

The sleeping dragon of inflation is beginning to stir.

The crisis at the southern border is not winning them points among either migrant-friendly people or law-and-order types.

Nobody is comparing Biden to FDR anymore, and the razor thin margins in Congress mean even individual members within the party can realistically threaten to stymie their legislative agenda.

I think, or at least hope, that these things will prevent the Democrats from having it all their own way.

I wonder what the borders will look like once climate change really starts rolling?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I wonder what the borders will look like once climate change really starts rolling?
    Good question. Personally, I also keep wondering what the world will look like due to climate changes, specifically as more and more of the glaciers melt and ocean levels rise.

i.e. Where's Florida?!?! Come visit the Hawaiian Island!

(Disclaimer: Above examples picked for effect, not because of any specific scientific claims that water is definitely rising and will wipe out these specific areas!)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I’ve been reading thousands have been released into the US effectively cutting the line in front of refugees in camps and people who are going through the legal process outside the country.
    Over the weekend DHS Secretary Mayorkas said the number was likely 12,000 or perhaps more with an additional 5,000 or so currently being processed.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I heard that this morning. Who thinks this is a good idea? In Live Free and Die Florida our ICU’s have been full for months and elective surgeries have been put off. Many of the other southern states have as well. Who doesn’t think taking care of our immediate life threatening crises is the most important thing? Letting 17,000 unscreened people who have entered illegally in is nutso. If an administration official says it, I imagine we will see many more rushing the border. Border patrol will have to ask people entering illegally to just turn around, politely of course.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I’ve been saying that to my pro amnesty open border friend for years. California, and the southwest have had heat waves and fires. Desert southwest is running out of water. Florida sea level areas are flooding and could soon be underwater and the entire east coast and Gulf of Mexico are subject to hurricanes. No doubt people closer to equator are going to be having a tougher time of it.
    when we travelled up the smoky mountains this summer we kept seeing huge houses in developments in the middle of nowhere. I asked around and repeatedly was told California transplants. I have heard the same is happening on Idaho, Wyoming etc. those with means or willing to migrate or die doing it will find a way.

California transplants
    We have put in several bids on Texas houses and each time it went to someone from California. They are doing the same here and paying cash for whatever it takes to get in. I think climate migration will be huge in the next decade. And I agree we shouldn't be letting unscreened people in at this time. Priorities...

Californians have been buying property in Reno for decades. I got into a bidding war for my condo and paid 30k over what it was likely to appraise for. I didn’t bother getting one because the owner said not to bid if you didn’t have the cash to make up the difference. 6 months later people are paying 45k more for these condos. It makes you wonder when it’s coming to a end.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I’ve been reading thousands have been released into the US effectively cutting the line in front of refugees in camps and people who are going through the legal process outside the country. I can also see this as encouragement for more to do so. And going to areas where the virus is already overwhelming hospitals who are using crisis care standards to prioritize who to treat. A totally grim situation
    Has anyone been to the Rio Grand border? We spent several weeks there one year in our RV. There are numerous cross over points or miles and miles across nothing but ranch and public lands. Close to impossible to build a wall as it would cut off river access for the cows where people have lived for many generations. Which is why we have border patrol using horses.
    the way this is going I can’t see a way forward for the Democrats to hold any power going forward.
    That is why a wall was so ridiculous! How many billions did we pay for a redundant wall?

Well what do you expect, I see properties posted here that I could pay cash for, after decades of renting one bedroom apartments (so not even cashing out a property, it's not even riding a property ladder, I was born too late to get in on it except if I inherit, unless I did in my 20s *maybe*, but I was 30 before I considered it, and woops too late, property prices are stratospheric. It's way more boring: it's just earning wages, saving money, property is affordable some places for cash, other places with a mortgage, and in CA mostly NOT AT ALL). But my ties are here now, so no. But I have to say Texas is not tempting.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information