Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Tybee it sounds like the harder stuff is done.
    Yes, that is a good thing to realize, helps me.

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post
    The Fall to do list is:

Start the 2021 batch of vanilla extract done
    Pull out duvet and extra blankets blankets pulled out, still too warm for the duvet
    Pull out winter clothing still too warm
    Clear out 3 boxes from the storage unit no
    Organize the fabric scrap bags (literally 2 Trader Joe's bags full of fabric scraps) in analysis paralysis mode
    Distribute knitted hats, scarves, mittens, and socks to people who need them too warm
    Minimize snark at the Apartment building's annual meeting I tried, story below
    Continue the book cull trying to find place that's currently accepting books
    Find the ice scraper not in the coat closet where husband swears he put it, search continues

Probably other stuff I'm forgetting

Yesterday evening was the annual condo association meeting. I tend to snark my way through zoom meetings, and the office manager asked me to try to keep it down. Meeting day is her busiest day since she has to spend 12+ hours on site doing stuff, I like her and she asked nicely. The bulk of the snark was via text with my next door neighbor. She usually has to work, so I take notes for her. Her schedule changed, so I didn't have to take notes for her. They go over the usual stuff about maintenance and current repair work. Then it goes to the owners forum where people can complain about their neighbors I mean talk about their concerns.

Our condo is pretty much young professionals and working class immigrants, no one has the super expensive latest greatest thing. Now that a company with a name similar to a major river in South America is building offices here, we're getting gentrification. One person complained about the curtains, she finds older curtains and hand made ones with cartoon characters or sports teams unattractive and wants them removed. The property portfolio person (property manager's boss) wavered since everything she mentioned followed the must have curtains or blinds in the windows. I proposed in chat that she personally select, pay for, and install curtains in any unit where she finds the curtains or blinds not up to her standards. Portfolio manager promised to send the maintenance person to walk around the property and send a notice to any rule violations. I tried my best, but can't let someone taking offense to a child's bedroom with a cartoon princess curtains, or the guy who paid me to make his favorite sports team theme curtains be forced to get boring curtains to pacify one person.

Have her supply white or off-white liners for all the ones that offend her.

This reminds me of why I don't like congregate living in general, even though that's likely looming in my future.

Yppej
    So far I have walked every day this week.

Celebrated one birthday. Finished buying birthday gifts and bought Christmas gifts for two people.

I have owned 3 condos and all had the rule that what shows to the outside is white or cream.

My blinds were brown. No complaints.
    I suppose it varies.

My condo where I dont even live yet has no rules on curtains. Windows must be brown. My unit has original windows and I do not plan to replace them, but hope to reglaze and refurbish within the next two years.

I like your proposal. The complainer should have to be the one to go around and explain it too. They just want "somebody else" to do it.

In NC, when the area gentrified, people started to complain (and it made the newspapers) about upholstered furniture seen on porches as they thought it was low class. Note this was previously rural property and often people were sitting and waving at passing cars.

We had a new condo owner complain to the neighborhood group about the "look" of the townhouse across the street. Note that we had no power and it was private property in the inner city. It was also owned by a City/County councilman.

In a certain retirement location in Florida, issues like this make the newspaper. The rules are so rigid and there are so many looking for infractions.

I can understand safety issues, rat issues, animal noise issues (police are called for screams), etc. But unless the "petty" rules are rigid and clear, anything else is eye rolling.

Hana: I think under the circumstances that you showed admirable restraint if you were able to minimize snark.
    As you noted on your list, it's been too warm to do a lot of the seasonal things just yet. I don't want to put away all the summer clothes and fans and such since we are still using them.

The main reason we bought the house we are in now is because there is no HOA! I love hanging my clothes outside to dry. All the developments in the area have rules against that.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information