Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Fall Challenge

I have two major steps to complete in fall gardening:

1) dig important lilies from my city garden
    2) replant them in Hermann

Today I expect to complete most of Step 1. I need to get all of the “important” lilies in the ground to see how much space is left before digging more of them.

The challenge with lilies in Hermann is deer eat them. So, I have very limited space for lilium on our 1 acre, it is a lily bed specifically built for lilies by DH and it has a fence around it.

I’m hoping to sprinkle the less important lilies in the gardens around the house, and take my chances with deer eating only some of them. Three years ago I moved all of my dayliles (hemerocalis) very carefully. I have not seen one, not one, flower on those plants. The plants are still going strong but any flower they’ve put up is immediately chomped by deer. I did see a few lilium flowers this year, so they didn’t eat all of them.

I just made a commitment to chair the design division of the North American Lily Society show in Chicago next July.That means I have to drive to Chicago with a car full of lilies and design equipment. This plus other considerations caused me to not dig any lilies that are currently at our community garden, because those might be the ones I have to take to Chicago.

Close the storage. Deal with the veggies on the floor of the pantry (overflow). Continue with the stuff purge. Finish the cookbook.

Another update

Social worker picked up the knitted socks and winter gear. She says there's always a need and if I knit more she can pick up.

I pulled out a bin from the storage unit and the contents are either in the trash or with their new owners. My 2022 project is a t shirt quilt for myself so now the t shirts and fabric have a new temporary home.

Scraps are sorted by size and in their new home.

Found the ice scraper, it was in a suitcase. I'm sure it made sense at the time.

Still too warm for the winter clothing, probably won't need them until next month. The squirrels are actually storing acorns instead of throwing them at people so I think we might have an actual winter this year.

Adding sewing masks to the list, husband is going back to the office Dec 1, and his employer decreed everyone must wear plain boring masks in solid colors. 4 down 8 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post
    Found the ice scraper, it was in a suitcase. I'm sure it made sense at the time.
    This made me laugh. Sounds like something I would do... for a good reason at the time!!! LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Have walked twice this week already so I should get to three times. Started drafting New Year's resolutions for 2022 and one us to up this to four times per week.

I am planning on making my Christmas cards tomorrow.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Update:
    Clean and store air conditioners and fans - done
    Clean closet and rotate summer & winter clothes. I also have brought in 28 items this year and have only culled 21, so I need to cull at least 7 more items to reach the "break even" point, and ideally I would like more out than in. - done, but only achieved break even point
    Leaf cleanup and shred - in progress
    There are lots of small seasonal things, and it's interesting to think that many of these tasks don't exist for those in warm-weather climates: put away hoses and turn off outside water, change storm door panels to screens, get out the snow shovels (which work their way to the back of the shed during the summer), put away the hammock, empty and wash outdoor plant containers, change bedding to flannel sheets and winter quilt. - hammock and bedding done
    I still need to stain the damned benches, but I have at least prepped them! - done
    Kondo the cupboard - done

Yppej
    Walked twice and plan to today as well.

Found another wall with uneven plaster I will try to patch and repaint as needed. Sanded yesterday.

Celebrating another birthday tomorrow.

You've been busy, rr! Congrat!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Looking like the cold is here to stay, so I brought up the winter clothing bin from the storage unit. Clothing is folded and in the dressers. Thanksgiving weekend project will be sorting and washing summer clothes and placing them downstairs.

2 of 3 storage unit boxes empty and contents elsewhere

12 of 12 masks sewn and in a separate bag from the household masks

Usual places still not accepting books, giving away small lots on the Buy Nothing group.

Thread Information