Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very small new houses

IL, I agree that the finishes are cheap and think someone could find a better house in that area for that price. Yppej that’s a cute little house that just needs some updates. Electric heat is not cheap though. Catherine, it sounds like your great area is being ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, I agree that the finishes are cheap and think someone could find a better house in that area for that price. Yppej that’s a cute little house that just needs some updates. Electric heat is not cheap though. Catherine, it sounds like your great area is being ruined.
    That's in the ballpark for ideal house size for me; the design is pedestrian, but I imagine some creative painting and decor would help. And a wall between the kitchen and living room... I can only dream of that price. Electric heat is cheap here, which I'm very thankful for. Given a choice, I would never use anything else.

That house is certainly bland but I like the size. Our current place is just over 1500 feet and it’s plenty big. After I retire we won’t need the third bedroom anymore and we have space lost to hallways and a staircase, so 1100-1200 would be fine for us at some point.

I don’t know the market where this is so I can’t say anything about the price except that it’s almost as cheap as the cheapest house in all of my county, which is a $199,000 mobile home from 1974 in a senior living condo mobile home park.

I’m not fond of the finishes nor the garage in front, but that is a cute little house. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    That house is certainly bland but I like the size. Our current place is just over 1500 feet and it’s plenty big. After I retire we won’t need the third bedroom anymore and we have space lost to hallways and a staircase, so 1100-1200 would be fine for us at some point.

I don’t know the market where this is so I can’t say anything about the price except that it’s almost as cheap as the cheapest house in all of my county, which is a $199,000 mobile home from 1974 in a senior living condo mobile home park.
    I've been browsing $125-200K mobile homes. I like the idea of a cheap stand-alone dwelling. As in the Bay area, $100K houses are only a distant memory here. That's what I paid for mine.

One difference between the first and second houses on this thread, the second one has a date built. The first one, has me wondering, if this was started then stopped as is, during the lumber shortage/expense. As for that style of house, I wonder if they planned on something else and they had to change directions. That style is extremely similar to the outside of the fourplexes, that one of my siblings kids, moved into last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    As for that style of house, I wonder if they planned on something else and they had to change directions. That style is extremely similar to the outside of the fourplexes, that one of my siblings kids, moved into last year.
    My first impression of the "garage up front" house was that it would only make sense as half of a duplex with the floorplan of the other half flipped over side to side so the front doors would be next to each other in a recessed area.

Looking at it here https://www.estately.com/listings/in...e-valley-court you'll notice the interior views avoid showing the wall where the front door is -- probably because it has no windows and is just a blank wall with an small entry nook. Even the flower bed next to the walkway that leads to the front door looks like it should have a mirror-image walkway and house on the other side of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    My first impression of the "garage up front" house was that it would only make sense as half of a duplex with the floorplan of the other half flipped over side to side so the front doors would be next to each other in a recessed area.

Looking at it here https://www.estately.com/listings/in...e-valley-court you'll notice the interior views avoid showing the wall where the front door is -- probably because it has no windows and is just a blank wall with an small entry nook. Even the flower bed next to the walkway that leads to the front door looks like it should have a mirror-image walkway and house on the other side of it.
    When I saw it, it reminded me of attached houses they’re building around the Midwest. Maybe it really *IS* intended to be an attached ‘“patio home” and that is what it will be when they actually build it. That would make more sense in the context of new houses built around here.

Darn, here I thought they were starting to make small single family houses.

This is not a house I would buy, I would, as you all know, go for a small old house before anything else. There are plenty of small old houses around there, some of them adorable Victorian cottages.

Thread Information