Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very small new houses

Very small new houses

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ixed_view_card

Here is a brand new house being built at 1000 ft.². The finishes are very cheap to my eyes, but I’m sure one can upgrade. $225,000 is a lot of money for what you get here I think, But I am pleased that small houses are in vogue again.

I have been noticing many 1200 to 1400 ft.² houses being built in my hometown in Iowa which is a suburb of Des Moines. But I had not seen one in the 1000 range there.

The fact that this little house is within walking distance of downtown Washington, MO is even more encouraging.

Yeah, you know I'm glad about the small house trend.

As far as the house you linked to, to me it's like a standard HGTV "give the customer what they want to sell it fast"--"open concept" "big island" "neutral colors" ..bathroom is OK but nothing special. I have no idea what the housing costs are in that market, so I can't comment on the price.

But as a general rule, I do NOT like garages that are closer to the street than the front door. I remember my MIL complaining about that type of architecture as well. Garages are not typically pretty nor welcoming features. Just seems like weird Feng shui.

My beautiful Ocean Grove, NJ is undergoing a horrific modernization, even though it's designated as a Historic Landmark town. The blocks in OG were originally designed as a grid. Every block had the front of the house facing the street, and the closer to the ocean the further back the house was set on the lawn in order to give as many people as possible going down the block the best view of the ocean. That's kind of a sidebar note on the real issue: Now, people are buying the house in the front and the house behind them and putting them together with one big house, and now all the garages are on the other block facing each other. So ugly to walk down to the beach and pass a row of buildings with the charm of a storage unit facility.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, you know I'm glad about the small house trend.

As far as the house you linked to, to me it's like a standard HGTV "give the customer what they want to sell it fast"--"open concept" "big island" "neutral colors" ..bathroom is OK but nothing special. I have no idea what the housing costs are in that market, so I can't comment on the price.

But as a general rule, I do NOT like garages that are closer to the street than the front door. I remember my MIL complaining about that type of architecture as well. Garages are not typically pretty nor welcoming features. Just seems like weird Feng shui.

My beautiful Ocean Grove, NJ is undergoing a horrific modernization, even though it's designated as a Historic Landmark town. The blocks in OG were originally designed as a grid. Every block had the front of the house facing the street, and the closer to the ocean the further back the house was set on the lawn in order to give as many people as possible going down the block the best view of the ocean. That's kind of a sidebar note on the real issue: Now, people are buying the house in the front and the house behind them and putting them together with one big house, and now all the garages are on the other block facing each other. So ugly to walk down to the beach and pass a row of buildings with the charm of a storage unit facility.
    oh, no no, no. WTF is UP with historic building standards in Ocean Grove!!??? Poorly written and poorly conceive standards sounds to me like.

Now I’m going to have to go off and Google this later today because this has me intrigued.

About the tiny house and the garage in front of it, I have to say that the automobile is here to stay in our lives. They must have houses. I am not a fan of big garage is facing the street specially as you say in front of the feont door, but now that I am participating in that abomination, I’m hardly one to throw stones!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    About the tiny house and the garage in front of it, I have to say that the automobile is here to stay in our lives. They must have houses. I am not a fan of big garage is facing the street specially as you say in front of the feont door, but now that I am participating in that abomination, I’m hardly one to throw stones!
    Yeah, I know everyone needs a garage, but I just don't like when they're so in-your-face. Yours is at least on the same line as the front door, right?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Yppej
    This is a more affordable small house at $89,900:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M38092-16310

The taxes are affordable too. But it has electric heat and hot water which can be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    This is a more affordable small house at $89,900:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M38092-16310

The taxes are affordable too. But it has electric heat and hot water which can be expensive.
    OMG, that is adorable!!! Yeah, to your point, if it had a wood/pellet stove, it would be a real winner!

Yeah, I know everyone needs a garage, but I just don't like when they're so in-your-face. Yours is at least on the same line as the front door, right?
    I guess our Hermann garage is in line with our front door. Probably our architect thought of that. He has to look at it, living as he does right across the street.

Looking at that house here https://www.estately.com/listings/in...e-valley-court it is obvious that the living area and kitchen are in the rear part of the house and the bedrooms and garage are in the front part. That's why the formal front door is way around the on side like that. The owners are expected to always enter and leave through the garage, which is probably a reasonable assumption. But it is still a weird design. Who puts the front door way around on the side of the house like that?

But the garage I have no objection to. It only extends a foot or two in front of the front wall of the house, which is normal enough to not bother me. But putting the bedroom on the street side and the front door way back there; no sale, keep looking.

garages that are closer to the street than the front door.
    That is on our list of prefer not to have - our realtor calls them hog nose houses. It is kind of ugly to have one's garage be the main feature.

Thread Information