Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what the grocery manager told us

what the grocery manager told us

We shop at various stores to get best deals on items we use and have been noticing a lot of empty spots lately. DH asked the manager at Trader Joe's why there are so many out of stocks this month. He said it is a perfect storm for seeing some empty shelves this fall. There is enough product but between packaging, shipping issues, labor shortages and customer demand they just can't get enough to keep shelves full. Buy it if you see it I guess or make do with something else.

Yppej
    It is also being driven by the media. I have seen several stories recently suggesting people get their Christmas gifts now or they might not be able to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It is also being driven by the media. I have seen several stories recently suggesting people get their Christmas gifts now or they might not be able to find them.
    Well, if I may be permitted to be a grinch....

https://moneywise.com/managing-money...stmas-presents

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...harity/578056/

https://www.thefrugalnoodle.com/stop-giving-christmas-and-birthday-gifts/

https://www.downhomeinspiration.com/...tmas-presents/

And that's why you ought to stop buying Christmas presents.

I doubt people on this forum go into debt for Xmas. When my kids were little Ace Hardware would sell all their toys half price the day after Xmas. My mom, sister and I would be in line at 6 so when they opened we would be first in the door to get what we wanted. Then my shopping was done for the next year. We would scope out the toys location in advance. For others I shopped year round. Now I only exchange gifts with 2 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I doubt people on this forum go into debt for Xmas.
    It's not just debt. It's about your kids getting loaded down with more toys than they need (and more clothes, and more games, and more video games, and...) And it's about all the wasted products and packaging and gift wrapping and time and effort that results from people giving other people things they don't need and maybe don't want just because they feel like they have to give that person a present. And it's about everybody unintentionally teaching their kids that some is good but more is better and too much is not quite enough.

There are lots of reasons why all of us should stop buying so many gifts for so many people on so many "special occasions". Especially since half of those special occasions were either turned into gift giving occasions by people who want to sell us stuff or flat out created by them.

My kids only received gifts for Xmas and their birthdays. They were not spoiled and we all thoroughly enjoyed the holidays just as I did as a child and adult. It’s focus was on family and enjoying our time together. Our family has stopped exchanging gifts as there’s no children and that’s what made the holiday gifts fun. We still enjoy good food and getting together of course. I wouldn’t dream of telling others how to celebrate the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My kids only received gifts for Xmas and their birthdays. They were not spoiled and we all thoroughly enjoyed the holidays just as I did as a child and adult. It’s focus was on family and enjoying our time together. Our family has stopped exchanging gifts as there’s no children and that’s what made the holiday gifts fun. We still enjoy good food and getting together of course. I wouldn’t dream of telling others how to celebrate the holidays.
    Agreed that if there arent little kids around for Christmas, presents are a bore. This group is pretty well out of the Christmas gifting frenzy.

I doubt I will even do much decorsting for Christmas this year. I have an 11’ tall artificial Christmas tree and decorations to give away first week in November. It has been sitting in our bedroom since last year, waiting for this giveaway.

I have tried to giveaway Christmas decor in summer months, but have no takers. When winter air hits, people are more interested.

My family mostly gifts books and food items for the Yule season.

My teenaged goddaughter gets cash for Christmas. That’s pretty much the only gift I give. Very into Christmas cards, though. I do a photo postcard with diving photos from the year. It’s a huge hit and people tell me they look forward to receiving it.

A very elderly friend of Mom sends her a custom Xmas card every year that has photos from her special activities during the year. It is fantastic. Bet your diving card is one of those that is kept around to enjoy.

Thread Information