Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hundreds of students walk out to protest removal of LGBTQ+ safe space at school

The odd thing is you may be accepting of all sexualities, gender identities, whatever. But you may not feel remotely like you want to (or are qualified to for that matter) do counseling on anyone's issues. There are probably some teachers like that.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

As explained to me, the point was not to have a place to go for "counseling", rather it simply signified a "space" where one could go and just "be" - to simply sit, breath, whatever - with no judgement, expectations, etc. Having a sticker on my cubical didn't say "I'm qualified to counsel you.", it simply said "You are welcome here." - nothing more, nothing less.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    The OP wasn't about your situation or any other unrelated situation. It was only about the specific situation that caused a massive student protest at one specific Texas high school and whether or not the school officials' actions were reasonable. https://www.wfaa.com/video/news/loca...e-ee3b63cdd34a Everything I have said about "safe people to talk to" or mentoring or counseling only applies to that situation or ones similar to it, not the general concept of having "safe spaces".
    George: Surely you know by now that we digress in our conversations big time. It's almost like if we stay on topic without any meandering, would it really even be the SLF?
    One of our neighbors is a gay male who is being tormented by another neighbor and his family members. The gay neighbor officially "came out" to us today. We've had many conversations on various topics, and I assume he could tell that we are friendly, tolerant people, but I later reflected on the fact that it still took at least some degree of courage to tell us that he was gay. He really couldn't be 100% sure that we would be supportive and accepting, which of course we were. So that is something akin to white privilege that I've never had to worry about. I can only imagine how much harder it is for younger people who are still finding themselves. I think it's a shame that the "safe place" stickers were removed. I'm also horrified that my poor neighbor has to live with this junior high behavior from adults in his immediate neighborhood.

The OP wasn't about your situation or any other unrelated situation. It was only about the specific situation that caused a massive student protest at one specific Texas high school and whether or not the school officials' actions were reasonable. https://www.wfaa.com/video/news/loca...e-ee3b63cdd34a Everything I have said about "safe people to talk to" or mentoring or counseling only applies to that situation or ones similar to it, not the general concept of having "safe spaces".
    Ahhh.... like X and Y chromosomes and left-handedness in your family in an OP topic titled "Is Cheerleading Too Dangerous?" ? Got it. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

In the post you're refering to I was replying to a post that speculated about whether a certain SLF member's offspring would have been athletic. Thus genetics was on topic for the post I was replying to. That reply also demonstrates that I have no objection to threads wandering and twisting all over the place as they evolve. But your reply to me that 'the point was not to have a place to go for "counseling", rather it simply signified a "space" where one could go and just "be"' obviously misinterpreted or misrepresented what I had said about the stickers indicating a safe-person to talk to, not a safe physical space. So if you weren't trying to contradict what I had said about mentoring or counseling, you should have made that clear by quoting or refering to whatever it was that you were really replying to.

LOL. I was NOT contradicting, misinterpreting OR misrepresenting you. I was explaining MY experience with "safe space" stickers. I think you are the one misinterpreting my post(s).

Read those posts, and as many other posts in this thread as you want to, and then come back and tell me it doesn't sound like happystuff is arguing with me about what the stickers were intended to mean.

Either she didn't understand that the things I said about having "a safe person to talk to" were specific to the student protest, or she was deliberately wanting to start an argument by claiming what I said was wrong because it didn't apply to her totally different situation.
    Well, since you asked, I think she was explaining how safe spaces she was familiar with worked and you again took offense that someone would (in your mind) question your absolute mastery of the subject matter. I think a chill pill may be in order.
    Last edited by Alan; 9-26-21 at 10:59pm.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Sorry to disappoint you, but the bulk of my posts were to LDAHL - not you, beginning with his question "How does a safe space work in practice."

And since you feel I am *deliberately" trying to argue with you, I can only assure you that I am not and won't upset you further by continuing this exchange. Have a good evening.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Put up the stickers in the sex ed class and in the counselors offices.
    The stickers are supposed to indicate teachers who are willing to have non-judgemental conversations with students about LGBTQ+ topics. Limiting them to the sex ed class and the counselors offices would totally defeat the purpose of letting the students seek information and guidance from an adult they know and trust.
    The safe spaces under discussion aren't physical spaces, they're people you can safely talk to about a sensitive subject without them being offended and without them being judgemental about you wanting to discuss that topic. If a person is self-declared as safe, but their conduct doesn't match that designation, that fact would quickly spread among people seeking a safe conversation, and the untrustworthy person would quickly be shunned. No other form of enforcement is needed.
    So they are not a physical location, but a person? Then why would it matter if they are in a counselors room or the sex ed room? Those are locations. One just has to put the stickers in those rooms, close to the names of those teachers. In this case they just post the stickers with a copy of the reports, listing those teachers,
    Kids are smarter then you are giving credit for.

GeorgeParker, you forgot to include "Because I can" on the 6th of your 10 deleted posts in this thread. Would you like me to do it for you?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

So they are not a physical location, but a person? Then why would it matter if they are in a counselors room or the sex ed room? Those are locations. One just has to put the stickers in those rooms, close to the names of those teachers.
    That actually makes sense, and if you had said it that way I would have understood what you meant instead of misunderstanding it. But in this case the principal issued a gag order prohibiting the teachers discussing the issue with students, and there's the rub.

In this case they just post the stickers with a copy of the reports, listing those teachers,
    I have no idea what "reports" you are referring to.

Thread Information