Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hundreds of students walk out to protest removal of LGBTQ+ safe space at school

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    ...and you again took offense that someone would (in your mind) question your absolute mastery of the subject matter.
    And that kind of unwarranted sarcasm is exactly the reason I deleted a bunch of my recent posts. My "absolute mastery of the subject" in this case has been limited to defining what the protesting students said they were protesting and what they said the stickers represented because SLF members were saying things like "Shouldn't every space be a safe space? Why limit safety to certain locations?" and "As explained to me, the point was not to have a place to go for counseling, rather it simply signified a space where one could go and just be" which seemed to be missing the point of what the protest was about.

But of course I'm not allow to have an opinion let alone to defend or explain my opinion because if I do I'm being a verbose know it all.

Well, you won't have to worry about that any more because I only came back long enough to reply to ToomuchStuffs helpful explanation of her post that I misunderstood earlier.

My two cents' worth: I perceived Happy's comment the same way Alan did, a sharing of her own experience with the concept of safe spaces. Then it seemed like George was reprimanding her for being off-topic, which puzzled me because I thought her comment was pretty relevant to the conversation. And even if it wasn't, when has that ever stopped us?
    George: You contribute a lot of good stuff to the Forum and I enjoy your participation. You do come on a bit strong sometimes; as you yourself said, you have strong opinions and you aren't afraid to share them, and that's perfectly cool by me. However, I do think you need to be prepared for people to sometimes come on strong back at you.

As a former gay teen who is now a middle aged gay person I knew what a safe space was, as defined by the protesting kids, before reading the article. All I have to say on the topic is that everyone who is quibbling over the definition of safe space or making what they consider to be witty (read-snarky) remarks about them should be glad they they never had a need for one. Such things didnít exist in the 80ís. Iím glad they do now. The suicide rate for LGBTQ youth is still higher than that of straight kids.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post

Well, you won't have to worry about that any more because I only came back long enough to reply to ToomuchStuffs helpful explanation of her post that I misunderstood earlier.
    For the record TooMuchStuff is a “he.”

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    As a former gay teen who is now a middle aged gay person I knew what a safe space was, as defined by the protesting kids, before reading the article. All I have to say on the topic is that everyone who is quibbling over the definition of safe space or making what they consider to be witty (read-snarky) remarks about them should be glad they they never had a need for one. Such things didn’t exist in the 80’s. I’m glad they do now. The suicide rate for LGBTQ youth is still higher than that of straight kids.
    I’m thinking that people quibbling need to walk a few miles in the shoes of a queer person.

The approach we take with our transgender kid is to resist the perhaps understandable urge to cloister him safely away from the world at large. Ultimately, there will be no authority you can appeal to for your hurt feelings and you will never live in an asshole-free environment, so you need to learn to live in the world as it is rather than some censored and policed paradise. Fortunately, most people do not give a damn about you one way or the other, so you should be able to carve out a little space for yourself with a little work and a little thought.

Identifying as a victim, even with some justification, only pleases your tormentors and creates self-imposed obstacles to creating the life you want.

And there's nothing wrong with teachers announcing quietly that they are willing to be part of that safe space. Not every trans kid or gay kid has family that's willing to accept them as they are. Being strong when you think you have zero support from anyone is an awfully tough thing to do.

Sometimes, you really are a victim. There's a limit to how far toughing it out will take you.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Sometimes, you really are a victim. There's a limit to how far toughing it out will take you.
    That may be true, but confronting the world with a victimís mindset can only hurt you. I will do whatever I can to spare my kid that.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    That actually makes sense, and if you had said it that way I would have understood what you meant instead of misunderstanding it. But in this case the principal issued a gag order prohibiting the teachers discussing the issue with students, and there's the rub.

I have no idea what "reports" you are referring to.
    A copy of the order/reprimand to the teacher, about having the discussion.
    Sometimes it isn't about using the front of your face, sometimes you just need someone to use the side of their head. (no discussion, just listen)

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    While probably different than a safe space in a school, we used to have them in the corporation I worked for back in the 80's and 90's. We had magnets and stickers to put at our cubical entrances to designate our cubical was a "safe space". It meant that ANY individual was welcome into the cubical if they felt they needed place to go and/or to be with someone when they couldn't find any other place where they felt safe - for whatever reason. I will add that my explanation is based on me as someone who offered a "safe space", not as someone who ever utilized one.
    There are only two safe spaces I ever knew about. One is a series of convenience stores, that have safe space signs up (irony with robberies, guns in schools, etc), the other is the only one I ever knew about, the space between ones ears.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And there's nothing wrong with teachers announcing quietly that they are willing to be part of that safe space. Not every trans kid or gay kid has family that's willing to accept them as they are. Being strong when you think you have zero support from anyone is an awfully tough thing to do.

While not gay, I understand the zero support. Back in my day, they were more worried about the school being sued, then things like allowing police to get involved, when I was at gunpoint. It was only a few years later, after Columbine, that police were in schools, in a function other then Narc. My support was one person, who didn't believe all the stuff I went through, until graduation night. After that she apologized. My safe space, was my earliest memory, or an apocalyptic world, where I was the only human, and had no one but myself to rely on, and at the same time, had no one to bother me.

Thread Information