Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking you parents’s stuff

Wow, so glad you were able to bring back those items! I'm sure the grandkids will prize their heirlooms, and having the rolling pin, vases and crewel footstool part of your daily life will be wonderful!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Its those small sentimental items that mean the most to me. I have a hat my grandpa wore in the summer (another sibling has his winter hat). Pampy was poor, but every respectable gentleman in that era wore a hat. I also have his magnifying glass that he kept on the table next to his recliner for reading the TV guide. I have my grandmothers measuring cup (that stays in the flour canister) and a couple of her paintings (she took up painting in retirement). I have one of my Dad's micrometers.

All these things are capturing an essence of them, and keeping their memories alive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Its those small sentimental items that mean the most to me.
    I was going to say the same thing. So glad you were able to find the little things that hold so many memories, Tybee. Especial the handkerchiefs!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I was going to say the same thing. So glad you were able to find the little things that hold so many memories, Tybee. Especial the handkerchiefs!
    Agreed! Glad you got this stuffout of the house before it was sold.Sounds like you got some nice daily use items as well as a few items you can pass on to grandchildren.

Thanks, Rosa and Catherine! I am feeling really happy about the rolling pin in particular.
    Thank you, Iris, happy, and herbgeek. What herbgeek said, "All these things are capturing an essence of them, and keeping their memories alive for me."
    Yes!

Nothing, in terms of items.

I want the house my mother lives in when she no longer has need of it, and plan to move in there myself then. Inspired by the hell of helping deal with the in-laws' estates and cleaning up their clutter, my Mother has engaged in a heroic decluttering effort of her own the past 4-5 years, so there will be little left to deal with. Some photos which I've already scanned, and a couple of paintings that she's already given me.

My Dad this year moved here, bringing only the things that would fit in his car. He brought along some historic family paintings which he gave to me upon arrival, and his amazing train set, which I was allowed to "use" when I was a child, and gave those to me already.

Should be easy to deal with it all, except for the whole parents-dying thing :-(

My gift to my kids is not a bunch of junk to dispose of. Mostly they have what they wanted and I still have all the photo albums which they can pick through and keep what they want and throw away the rest. My condo is only 855 sq ft and has everything I need but isn’t overflowing.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Should be easy to deal with it all, except for the whole parents-dying thing :-(
    Yeah, I don't care about "stuff"; it is the "whole parents-dying thing" that I'm most worried about.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My father died in 1999, my mother is currently in the end stages of dementia and under at-home hospice care. My youngest brother has lived with her for the past 10 years and acted as her caregiver since the beginning of her decline. My other brother and I have decided that when she dies dealing with her things, her home, her car, her bank account will be easy, it all goes to the brother who's been there by her side.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Alan, I think you and your brother are wonderful people!! I totally agree with your decision.

Thread Information