Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Taking you parents’s stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Alan, I think you and your brother are wonderful people!! I totally agree with your decision.
    I agree. Kudos to you and your siblings, Alan. Just proving these things don't have to be hard!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My kudos, as well. to you and your family, Alan.

I get the house back when my mother can no longer live in it; actually, I own it, but then I can do what I want with it. The stuff inside? There's very little of real value but whatever there is can be given away or sold and the money given to either my sister (who has ended up retiring earlier than planned) or my brother (though there won't be much tangible that he could use and there are limits to how much money he can hold).

The agreement all along in the family has been to give what's left to whoever needed it most. Beyond that, I can't think of an item of my mom's I really want to keep. I'll probably find whatever it is when I'm cleaning out the house.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

That sounds like a wonderful plan, Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My father died in 1999, my mother is currently in the end stages of dementia and under at-home hospice care. My youngest brother has lived with her for the past 10 years and acted as her caregiver since the beginning of her decline. My other brother and I have decided that when she dies dealing with her things, her home, her car, her bank account will be easy, it all goes to the brother who's been there by her side.
    I agree with the others. That is a generous decision and one made by someone who knows what it is to be family.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Alan, I think you and your brother are wonderful people!! I totally agree with your decision.
    +1

Thread Information